Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have been keeping Milawi cichlids for a while now and I am now about to I'm ark on keeping a single species tank. I have a 250 litre (uk) tank, measurements are 120cm x 41cm x 55cm. I am Considering a single Tiger Oscar and wanted some advice on if the tank is a suitable size as I know they get big. Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Although that's a four foot length tank it's only 65 US gallons. I'd not want to go any smaller for a full grown Oscar. I kept a single in a 135 gallon and he used every bit of it.

Regards,
Stu

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
No, that 250ltr tank is too small for keeping one, adult-sized Oscar.
These beautiful, Apex Predators grow from 40 to 45cm in heavy-bodied, adult length... seriously, they're Tank Busters!
A very experienced New World Cichlid Keeper ('Oscar6' - imagine that...), pointed out recently in rather helpful fashion, that your adult-sized fish should be no larger than 3/4 the width of the tanks they are kept in. I totally agree with that logic!
So, going with that point to the next logical step? You will need a tank that is at - MINIMUM - 60cm in width.
Yep.
That's a Really Big Aquarium! So, for acceptable Oscar accommodations you need to look closely at the width of the tank. And, if placing a longer, rectangle shaped tank in your home will be a problem? You could possibly go with a 120cm X 60cm aquarium. That would be the absolute smallest tank size I would personally put an Oscar in! The water volume of that minimum/smaller size aquarium, would be in the range of 450 to 550 liters volume.
-
Oscars are extremely cool fish. And yes, they make absolutely amazing, individually kept 'Wet Pets'. But, the cost you pay for the privilege of keeping these very large Cichlids properly?
Are some seriously big aquariums. :oops:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's sad. I really want to get one and had hoped my 120 x 40 tank would be ok for one. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Fish that are like oscars? I have always kept and breed Mbuna cichlids, and only small ones. This is my first South American tank and really wanted a large fish to try something different. I've liked. Green terrors but worry that their colours are not as amazing as the web photos. Any recommendations on a larger fish foot my new aquarium would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Now now... no sulking! Sure, the Tank Busting Oscar is out. But, with a 40cm wide tank, that means you could properly accommodate a tremendous variety of New World Cichlids.
There are some powerful, pugnacious brutes you could choose from out there, that actually come in at just under 30cm with full adult sizes.
Or....
You could go an alternate route with your aquarium, and attempt breeding some of the most nasty, fry-protective fish - on the planet! As an example, I had the humbling experience of keeping a spawning pair of Hypsophrys (alt: Neetropolus) nematopus, 'Neets' in a community tank.
It did not end well....
This pair of approximately 10cm long, insanely vicious attack fish destroyed or attempted to shred literally every occupant I had with them in a 180cm X 33cm tank (680ltr!!!). Before I could (frantically) set up and put in a tank divider, I lost 8 WC Astyanx fasciatus mexicanus tetras, 1 WC 20cm long Parachromis motaguense, 2 unpaired 'Neets' and 1 Rhino Pleco. Saved from the 'Neet' shredder , (but seemingly scarred for life) were 1 30cm long Paraneetroplus synspilum, 1 Trichromis salvini, 1 Cactus Pleco and 7 WC Astyanx fasciatus tetras.
And for some reason, people continue to get those things for keeping in the hobby.
Whew..... :oops:
-
So, got any ideas? And, those choices! Attempt breeding a single pair of very cool, incredibly vicious fish - or - grow out a 'Wet Pet'? It's kind of a nice problem to have, y'know? :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Chrislisk said:
I've liked. Green terrors but worry that their colours are not as amazing as the web photos.
I've seen some AMAZING green terrors in person. Right now I have some juveniles, and it is super cool to watch their colors come in and develop. Maybe go to a few LFS if you can and check some larger ones out...? One of the coolest ones I've seen though was in a Chinese restaurant's tank!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went and looked at green terrors today and they don't look anything near as colourful of amazing as what I have seen on the net. Do green terrors actually ever Look as vivid as thee net photos? The ones I saw today were kinda dull TBH.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Auballagh said:
Now now... no sulking! Sure, the Tank Busting Oscar is out. But, with a 40cm wide tank, that means you could properly accommodate a tremendous variety of New World Cichlids.
There are some powerful, pugnacious brutes you could choose from out there, that actually come in at just under 30cm with full adult sizes.
Or....
You could go an alternate route with your aquarium, and attempt breeding some of the most nasty, fry-protective fish - on the planet! As an example, I had the humbling experience of keeping a spawning pair of Hypsophrys (alt: Neetropolus) nematopus, 'Neets' in a community tank.
It did not end well....
This pair of approximately 10cm long, insanely vicious attack fish destroyed or attempted to shred literally every occupant I had with them in a 180cm X 33cm tank (680ltr!!!). Before I could (frantically) set up and put in a tank divider, I lost 8 WC Astyanx fasciatus mexicanus tetras, 1 WC 20cm long Parachromis motaguense, 2 unpaired 'Neets' and 1 Rhino Pleco. Saved from the 'Neet' shredder , (but seemingly scarred for life) were 1 30cm long Paraneetroplus synspilum, 1 Trichromis salvini, 1 Cactus Pleco and 7 WC Astyanx fasciatus tetras.
And for some reason, people continue to get those things for keeping in the hobby.
Whew..... :oops:
-
So, got any ideas? And, those choices! Attempt breeding a single pair of very cool, incredibly vicious fish - or - grow out a 'Wet Pet'? It's kind of a nice problem to have, y'know? :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi, as much as I have never kept green terrors. I found much of the same problem with Bolivian rams, they always had beautiful colours on the web but when I was in the store always ruddy coloured and not vibrant at all. I would just get the green terror if you like the fish and are willing to risk it. The green terror right now is not in its optimal aquarium and is probably not being fed amazing foods. If you get some high quality foods in your fish I'm sure you will not regret your purchase. Hope this helped.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts