Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my tank 10 gallon with some coral rocks, shells and a peice of drift wood wih two fake plants... i want to get a twenty gallon and maybe about 2 to 3 more africans to add to my collection of three and one albino longfin pleco that seems to handle himself in the tank....... so far

what i was wondering was ? is this my tank at the moment to small to keep them( the original 3) and if i get the twenty gallon tank can i have about 6 aficans in total and a pleco fish to grow full size ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can appreciate not everyone has the room or $$ for big tanks, but I would think 10-20G is definitely too small for cichlids. Maybe a few small tetras or a betta. In such a small space, one bully can make life miserable for the others as they have no where to go to get away.

As for the pleco, it can grow to 6 inches - too big for a 10-20G tank

(comes down to a difference between surviving and thriving).

IMO

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright so am going to set my sights on 30 to 45 gallon tank ..... come on goverement tax cheque, come on home to daddy, he needs a new tank. Now assuming i get a 30 gallon tank witch it seems is easy to come by, how many fish could be put inside.. recommended atleast ? i got three and a pleco

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I recommend going through the cookie cutter setups here.
If your budget fits 30-45 gallon tanks and you intend on keeping mbuna, I highly recommend you get either a 33 gallon 'long' measuring 48" x 13" x 12", or a 40 gallon 'long' tank, measuring 48" x 13" x 16".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tips im hunting day and night for an affordable tank cause i am only starting out ..... and no foam anywhere near the tank, umm maybe what ur seeing is the bubble's from the bubble machine( dont know technical name ). Father had an aquarium when i was young( untill i threw a toy car at the glass and long story short cat had fun.) and he kept some stuff and gave me that and said it would help oxiginate the water ?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
kijiji classifides has good deals once in a while,
I,ve got all my tanks and most equipment there,
I noticed the air wand after I posted my comment about the foam,
which is not normally needed,as long has you have good surface agitation from a powerhead or filter outake

·
Registered
279 Posts
Look on craigslist. I found my 75 for a pretty good deal on there.
Don't buy new. I bought a NEW 29 complete kit: hood, filter, heater ( half off ). I also bought some gravel, decor, air pump, and background. I probably have 400 into that setup alone!!!
I paid $150 for my 75 w/stand and 2 sets of lights. I bought everything else online: 2 filters, 2 heaters, everything you need for malawi mbuna setup. I bought pool filter sand 100 lbs at a pool and spa store. I probably have $400 into my 75 gallon.

My point is LOOK AROUND!
You will save alot of money! This is a very expensive hobby if you make it out to be that way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts