Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am brand new to cichlids and would like to set up a tank. I had a little 29 gallon tropical years ago but kind of fell in love with mbunas recently and would like to give this a shot.

I've been torturing myself with species lists but came up with this as a first attempt to meet the following:

1) mostly peaceful (for a cichlid tank)/as easy as possible for first time cichlider
2) sticking with blue/yellow/white (no rusties etc. even though they are adorable, just not right for this one)
3) must include yellow labs because my 4 year old says they are the cutest fishies ever

That said, thoughts on this stocking, if I can find them? I would need to order them all online, the local stores here are not adequate.

Pseudotropheus sp. "Williamsi North" (1/2-4? I read they do ok in smaller groups and don't want to add excess bioload if unnecessary since they are big fishies)
Metriaclima sp. Dolphin (1/4)
Labidochromis caerulus "Lions' Cove yellow" - (1/4)
Labidochromis sp. perlmutt (1/4)
Synodontis lucipinnis 5-6?

Any issues or thoughts? I know there are two labs; I don't plan on keeping/distributing fry (see: synodontis) so I am not worried about interbreeding; the only issue would be if they are too close and the males will see each other as rivals? If so, is there another peaceful-ish yellow/white fish to replace the perlmutts?

Thank you in advance, this site has been very helpful! :popcorn:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently I am a dingbat and can't figure out how to edit posts, but I know the blue lips is not necessarily peaceful and I'm wondering specifically if I could make him work in that group. I really like these big goofy guys, but if he has to go, he can... not sure what to replace him with, but something bigger-ish with personality if possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a newbie african cichlid keeper, so i can't give you stocking advice (I didn't properly research myself and am assuredly in for trouble). BUT I can definitely tell you that if you can figure out how to fit the Blue Lips in do it! Our tank is pretty fledgling, and ours are just juvenile (2.5 inches or so) but they are the most fun fish out of the 50+ in my tank to watch. They play together as a school in the hydor koralia's stream, swimming against it and then letting the current carry them away, reforming and swimming against it again. Its fun to watch them be so playful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agh that is adorable! I have a huge fish crush on them so I am crossing my fingers this is not a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears I have lied about peaceful, and am considering replacing the dolphin manda with maingano. Ok idea or terrible idea?

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Maingano should work. Shoot for 1m:7f since they are aggressive. I would not go less than 1m:4f on the williamsi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weeellll I'm back. Dave said that I would really need to get lots more williamsi and cut down on everyone else, and I am seeing more that they can get really boisterous. So, I'm cutting them.

I also convinced myself that I really shouldn't hybridize so that I can send any survivor fry off for sale without breaking trust with the chichlid keepers of the world, so Mr. Perlmutt is gone. I really liked him :(

So I am going to try this:

Yellow labs
Acei
Maingano

aaaaand I'd really like one barred fish in the last slot. I am not sure who would be best.

* I would like the females to be not completely hideous
* I don't really want to deal with demasoni husbandry.
* I know everyone loves the cyno hara but for some reason they just don't do it for me...
* I don't really want any more solid yellow fish so no saulosi/msobo/etc

Thinking about:

Metr dolphin
Cyno jalo reef
Metr chailosi/chewere/mpanga

Any ideas on what would be best?

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
The Jalo looks like the most peaceful on that list. If you like the females, go with those.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They aren't so bad, and everyone else is colorful. Looks like I am set again. Thank you for the input!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts