Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me identify my new cichlid he appears to be Ram variety but unsure hope this site can help me identify my cichlid so I can hopefully get him a mate but we will see.

Pic below

Thank you all so Much
Trage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for quick reply think my cichlid is femail with rounded fin but no pinkish belly noted

thank you
trage

·
Registered
912 Posts
It is a standard Ram, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, stressed in a cloudy tank. It is NOT a Bolivian, look at the caudal fin (may be difficult if you have a dark monitor). There are several other differences, such as the vertical bars being wider than they are on altispinosa, and the eye bar being angled at the eye rather than nearly vertical.

This fish needs temperatures in the low 80s, and Neon Tetras need temperatures in the low 70s, so the two species are not compatible by that requirement alone.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Kerricko said:
Very well stated Fmueller and good pic. Are those your rams?
Yes, they are my B. rams. I used to breed those guys for a number of years, and had a nice strain going. This male won 3rd place in the SA Dwarf Cichlid class at the OCA Extravaganza some years back. It's not easy for a B. rams to take a place away from the much more showy Apistos that are also in that class!

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Chromedome52 said:
It is a standard Ram, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, stressed in a cloudy tank. It is NOT a Bolivian, look at the caudal fin (may be difficult if you have a dark monitor). There are several other differences, such as the vertical bars being wider than they are on altispinosa, and the eye bar being angled at the eye rather than nearly vertical.
I have never kept M. ramirezi, and would not be able to tell the difference between them and M. altispinosa when they show so little color. Since Chromedome52 seems to know what to look for, I would trust his judgment on this issue. Thanks for correcting me, Chromedome52 :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any idea Chromedome52 if my cichlid is male or female ram cichlid ?

thank you all
trage

·
Registered
256 Posts
fmueller said:
Kerricko said:
Very well stated Fmueller and good pic. Are those your rams?
Yes, they are my B. rams. I used to breed those guys for a number of years, and had a nice strain going. This male won 3rd place in the SA Dwarf Cichlid class at the OCA Extravaganza some years back. It's not easy for a B. rams to take a place away from the much more showy Apistos that are also in that class!
Thats fantastic. Nice looking fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts