Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just setup a 44 gallon tall i new i wanted cichlids but didnt no which type just no red devil or an oscar been there done that so visted my local petco and there he was a blue electric cichlid well thats what the sign said so he was my first choice my 2nd was a green terror cichlid thought the name was cool an my last choice was the jewel turquoise cichlid i like the sparkles plus i thought him an blue would be straight cuz they grow to be the same size well once i search the net for hours trin figure out what blue really was then bam an mel. blue electric johanni african cichlid never new about him but its exactly what i wanted i love it even doe he beats up the other to when they step into his section which is where ever he chooses at the time the jewel is cool but has become the tank punk blue more aggressive towards him than he is towards the gt the jewel picks fight with gt an gets banged everytime but neither messes with johanni they will hang with eachother before they go in his part of the tank

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
44 gallon tall? What are the dimensions of this tank? Most likely this tank will be too small for these fish when they mature.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i know i also have a 55 long too so i think there cool for now just got a kenyi and livingston cichlid thinking about giving the gt and the livingston to my boy since he has more space and he's into fish that grow to be monsters im going to do mbunas all i need now is a arutas an a red zebra since i got the johanni and kenyi.now only if the petco new more about fish i would have never gotten any fish that grow over 6 inches its cool google set me in the right direction johanni is my favorite so i catered the tank to his needs an googled fish that live like he dose an that can live with him the jewel turquoise will just have to adapt gt an the livingston will be moving to a new home soon maybe jewel to dont think he can survive with my munbas . oh the 44 is 30 long an 23 tall

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
johanni's can be intolerant to other fish. Downright nasty stress inducers.

Nice colors though :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea he's crazy but he dosen't bother them unless there in one of his spots he also breaks up fights between the others i guess he figures he's the only one aloud to go nuts just introduced a kenyi and a livingston cichlid the green terror is leaving today is the livingston cichlid safe to stay with johanni and kenyi oh an my jewel turquoise cichlid which will be a floater if he dosen't grow some balls he's the biggest in the tank for now i plan on adding an m.arutas or a red zebra or both once the gt is gone. will this be trouble or am i headed in the right direction for what i truly want a mbuna set up. ps. jewel turquoise an the livingston cichlid will go to if either can live with my mbunas

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Even a 55 gallon is trouble for a kenyi, johanni and auratus... For such aggressive mbuna, you really want a bigger tank. What you are seeing is the behaviour of juvenile fish... an adult aggressive johanni would likely be the last fish standing in 30" long tank in no time at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what would be best for my johanni far as the right fish to live with him other sites say m. arutas kenyi or red zebra i figure the more info the better what about my livingston the petco guy said it was cool but i have a feelin he was just telling me anything for now i wanna do whats best for my mbunas don't care for the jewel turquoise green terror or livingston cichlid wish i new about this site before hand but im sure i'll get it right guess i better start getting the 55gal ready for action

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Those are all reasonable fish to keep with a johanni... but the tank is too small.. and I'm talking about the 55 gallon. A 4ft 75 gallon would be a squeeze, a 5ft or 6ft tank better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool fish are fine gotta go get a bigger tank thats a bet hey bigger is always better how soon do i need it thanks alot! you've been very helpful im so excited cause all i ever owned was a red devil which was cool but super mean the oscar was the best mean but chill all in one that was like 15yrs ago just decide to get back into it when i laid eyes on johanni and learned more about african cichlids an the mbunas i made some mistakes but hey i will get this right

1 - 9 of 9 Posts