Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My first day on forum. Bought a Marineland 60 gallon setup from Petsmart and want to stock with Cichlids. Thinking about the Fluval 306 Canister Filter. Are the small LED strip lights that came with the setup going to be sufficient? I have all the other usual newbie questions that I'm sure will be answered as I explore this forum! At work now, but I'll be on here tonight for sure!
Thanks for any info!
Todd

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

Check out the Cichlid-forum Library for newbie questions.

What are the dimensions of the 60G? Is it a rectangle shape?

Which cichlids will you be keeping?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJ,
Tank measurements: 48.25 W x 12.75" D x 24.75" H
Want to stock with African Cichlids that are 5 to 6 inches max. Not sure of all the names yet! Saw some at the pet store today that were bright yellow with black markings on some of their fins! Also saw Strawberry Peacocks, or maybe they were Albino Peacocks.... Thinking of using gravel, not sand, as my substrate. They had some substrate that looked more like crushed shells and coral maybe that they called "Live" substrate. It was wet inside the bag....? Got lots of learning to do!!!!
Thanks
Todd...age 57....still learning!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The only "live" substrate I've seen has been meant for reef tanks or planted tanks. Neither is what you want.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I would skip the gravel...Africans like to sift the sand through their gills.

Yellow labs and strawberry peacocks would be OK in a 48x12 tank...stock 1m:4f of each. Peacock females are drab. You can fit one more species...go with a small hap 1m:4f like Placidochromis electra.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.