Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I had a 25 gallon tank with Tiger Bards.. that is really it. I just purchased a 75 gallon aquarium which came with stand, light and hood. I also purchased an AquaClear 110. Originally I was going to just have tropical fish, but as a family we decided that we would love to go with African Cichlids instead... What do I need? Is the filter good enough for a 75 gallon? I was told I should have a canister filter. How many fish can be added to a 75 gallon aquarium?

I don't even have gravel, rocks, heater or anything else but a background, thermometer, water changing hose, and some nets. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I would read about fishless cycling in the Cichlid-forum Library and be prepared to wait six weeks (on average) for the tank to cycle before adding fish.

Your filter cleans 500 gallons per hour. For a 75G you can get away with that for a while, but you may want to add more filtration as the fish grow.

What is the African Cichlid that caught your eye? We can recommend stock that is compatible with your favorite.

The species will drive the amount of rocks. You might want to look into pool filter sand for your substrate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would go ahead and get another filter now. Over filtration is a lot better than just being ok with filtering. Depending on what species you go with is about how many you can have. For example, you can have up to 35 mbuna in that 75 gallon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the quick response.. I will read the fishless cycling.. Not really knowing the name of the fish, I like the blues and yellows, maybe some other colors but mostly those. Seen them small at the pet store. I think they were arount $5-$8 per fish.. It said assorted on the tank.

As for the 2nd filter, should I get another AquaClear 110 or a canister filter? I don't mind either one. Especially if one is going to be more beneficial than the other..

Pool filter sand? Not the "cichlid sand"? OK, 75 pounds worth? or a little more?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would recommend another filter. Your stock will likely be heavy at conclusion. A medium sized quality canister will be a good addition to the Aquaclear. I also suggest you completely avoid the "assorted" tank. The store doesn't know what they are, neither do you. Diet, size potential, aggression levels all unknown. Quite likely some fish in there that aren't even African. Seek out a reputable store with knowledgeable staff. Save many headaches going forward. The key for you is research,research.. never ending research.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If you like Aqua clear (I do), I'd suggest the AC70 as the second filter if finances are an issue. You could do AC110, but the AC70 with the 110 will give you just over a 10x turnover per hour on 75 gallon. I like to have two filters on a tank in case one stops working. Has not happened often but nice peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
offmyrocker said:
Pool filter sand? Not the "cichlid sand"? OK, 75 pounds worth? or a little more?
Pool filter sand can usually be found at a pool supply store though some home improvement supply stores may carry it.

To determine how much sand to purchase, click This link which will take you to the C-F Aquarium Calculator, scroll to the bottom Sand Depth calculator and plug in your tank dimensions and how deep you want the sand bed. I like to keep about one inch of sand or approximately up to the plastic trim on the tank bottom.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I did a four foot by 18 inch footprint and used less than 50 lbs. pool filter sand but then I do not like the sand very deep.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Oscar6 said:
I also suggest you completely avoid the "assorted" tank. The store doesn't know what they are, neither do you. Diet, size potential, aggression levels all unknown. Quite likely some fish in there that aren't even African. Seek out a reputable store with knowledgeable staff. Save many headaches going forward.
Plus one. If you are near me in NJ I might be able to recommend a LFS or two. You want a store that puts the scientific name on the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your help. I have been going on the library and forums. Great information here. So much to learn. I am definitely going to take my time and make decisions wisely.

DJRansome, I live down the shore. Far from Boonton.. But we do have a few places here (other than big box stores) that I will be checking out as well.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I am moving to Little Egg Harbor, but I don't know any stores down here yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts