Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my name is Jose and I am new to the hobby. I am currently working on setting up my 1st tank (55 gallon) and after doing plenty of research I have landed on keeping Cichlids. I'm still unsure on what type of Cichlids I'll go with, my top 3 are Peacocks/Haps, Parrots or Severums. I am looking for advice on cycling the tank and equipment which I already have.

Currently running:
Marineland® Emperor 400 (with sponge and ceramic rings)
Sponge Filter
Wave maker
200W heater
Imagitarium White Aquarium Sand

Treated tank with:
DrTim's Aquatics Live Nitrifying Bacteria, also purchased Ammonia but did not need it)

The tank havs been running with all the above equipment for the pass 3 weeks, I last tested the water today.

PH is approximately at 7.6
Ammonia approximately at .25 ppm
Nitrite & Nitrate reading at 0.

Would I be ok adding fish to my tank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys, I just retested the water and ammonia is 0 so I added ammonia. Nitrite & Nitrate are still o, I will retest tomorrow morning.

Reading and seeing videos on the cycle is one thing, actually cycling the tank is a different story lol.

·
Registered
660 Posts
cooldez said:
...Reading and seeing videos on the cycle is one thing, actually cycling the tank is a different story lol.
I think fishless cycling is probably the 'best' way to cycle a tank. Though I admit that in all my years I've never done it. I cycle my new tanks through a mixture of starting with small bioload while gradually increasing (adding 1-2 cheap fish every 5-7 days) and very frequent large water changes every 1-3 days. After 5-6 weeks I take out the cheap fish and put in my desired fish, but I keep doing large water changes every 3-4 days for the next 1-2 weeks. I'm sure you can see that fishless cycling is the easier, cleaner method. Maybe next time I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok update time,

I added ammonia to the tank, I have tested the water everyday for the pass three days and it's steady at 4ppm. I did ready the entire cycling article and thought I had started on the right foot. At this point I am unsure if I'm doing it correct or I'm missing something out of the equation.

At this point I'm considering doing water change or adding additional bacteria.

·
Super Moderator
40,882 Posts
Allow six weeks. Don't do a water change unless the article tells you to. Additional bacteria is not usually very effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts