Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm looking into starting my first Mbuna setup.I've been reading a lot the past few days but I'm still unsure what to stock and what's compatible or not.

For my birthday, I am buying a custom built, optiwhite 144L tank. The dimensions are: 120x40x30 CM (LXWXH), I went as long and as deep as I could, but I kept the height short as I already have a 112L tropical community in my bedroom and I didn't want things to become too heavy.

I will most likely run a Fluval or Eheim Cansiter with a wave maker. Water will be remineralised RO with a Zebra Stone hardscape.

How many Mbuna species can I squeeze in? How many total Mbuna can I keep?

This may not be a good idea, but I had two potential stocking ideas which appealed to me-

#1 (M:F)
8x Melanochromis Maingano 1:7
6x Labidochromis Caeruleus 2:6
4x Idotropheus Sprengerare 1:3
4x Pseudotropheus Socolofi Snow White 1:3

#2 (M:F)
12x Pseudotropheus Salusoi 4:8
4x Idotrohpeus Sprengerae 1:3
4x Labidochromis Caeruleus 1:3 'White'
4x Pseudtropheus Acei 1:3

Thank you & I'm open to all advice, suggestions and tips! :)

·
Super Moderator
40,697 Posts
Agree. I would drop the maingano and the acei.

Shoot for 3 species and 15 fish if they are smaller (not like acei) and peaceful (not like maingano).

I have never had luck with quads...go 1m:4f of each. If you want multiple males of the saulosi do a species tank with 3m:12f.

·
Super Moderator
40,697 Posts
I have used one canister on a tank this size (48x12) as long as you get GPH of 8X to 10X.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.