Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all im new to the forum and didnt really know where to post this so i guessed this section cause i am going to ask some questions along with my intro(but if it is in the wrong section feel free to move to another) my name is Justin i am an 18 y/o college student currently attending UTI(universal Technical Institute a school for auto mechanics) and live most of the time in Orlando but do try and get home to Tampa whenever possible because it is so close

well i am strongly thinking about getting another fish tank after many years(havnt had one since i was 8-10 years old) i am thinking of getting a 20 gallon tank and i would like to put cichlids in it but i am not sure what kind of cichlids i can fit in that tank and how many to put along with what kind of substrate and how much rock and plantation would be good

now i want some color so i would prefer some bright colored fish and i am happy with having only one kind now i have to say i am not as smart with the scientific names of each species so if you list them i will have to do some research to get the common names for them which i really dont mind doing once so ever

i would also know what would be the best way to set up the tank to get it ready for the fish

and i would also like to know if anybody has any ideas of good places to get the right cichlids for this tank once i have decided what kind i want in the orlando or tampa area of FL.

now i dont commonly have internet when i am in Orlando(where i live 85% of the time since i am a college student and am only home in tampa every couple of weeks) but my roomate does have internet in his room which he says i can use anytime i want i just dont feel comfortable using it alot but i can use it when needed

thanx in advance for all of your help!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
you cant fit a lot of cichlids in a 20g. you can go with dwarf or shell. but other than that i dont think there other cichld that can go in a 20g.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not really looking for alot just maybe 2-3 of the same kind and i may be able to get a little larger of a tank cause i am currently shopping for a used one and have found some pretty good prices on some slightly larger ones but i cant get one that is too large because i may be moving to a new apt. at the end of july but it will hopefully only be to an apt. that is only like 30yds. away and up a flight of stairs

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I know....it's a lot of stuff to read but it's helpful.

In the library section of this website they have a section that consists of "cookie cutter" setups. Meaning fish that will play nice together and give a balanced tank for beginners or just an overall decent setup of fish. They have them for 10 gallon, 20 gallon long, 29 gallon, 40 gallon long, 55 gallon, and 75 gallon tanks. Like I mentioned these are just general configurations that work and to give you an idea of where to head.

A bigger tank is always a plus as it is easier to keep the water volume more stable. If you do too much of a water change on a smaller tank it could be disastrous. But if you think you can handle it then by all means go for. Right now I have a 20 gallon in my bedroom that houses 8 fish. 3 Daffodil Brichardi and 5 Bushy/Bristle Nose Plecostomus. I have the plecos in that tank kind of as a grow out tank for them to get some size on before going into my 210 gallon.

To get the tank up running and cycled you can either cycle the tank with fish or without fish. Or if you do not want to take the time to do that you can buy bio-spira which is basically a bag of beneficial bacteria that you add to your tank and it jump starts your tank/filter.

The one problem people usually have is that they buy the fish the day they setup the aquarium and then over feed and once the tank has it's ammonia/nitrite spike in about 2-3 weeks maybe sooner maybe later depending on your stocking level and it kills all the fish and then they go back to the pet store and are like "WTF happened? Why did my fish die?" Getting a tank fully established takes time UNLESS you buy bio-spira or borrow someone else's filter off of their established tank. There needs to be bacteria that will break down the ammonia and nitrite in the system to make it safe for the fish.

That's not saying you can't add fish the same day that you setup your aquarium you just have to keep an eye on the tank parameters and do a lot of water changes to try and keep the spike from happening.

Anyway, check out the cookie cutter section and think about buying a larger tank. They aren't that hard to move. It would take you and a friend 30 minutes to drain and move a tank 55 gallon that far of a distance. Sure it might be a bunch of trips up and down the stairs using buckets but it can be done. You really only need the friend to help move the tank itself and maybe the stand. You can transport the water or use new dechlorinated water from the new place. All that is important is that you keep the bacteria in the current tank water while transporting so that it doesn't die. Keeping the bacteria alive will keep your fish alive. The fish will be alright in a 5 gallon bucket with an air stone that is attached to an air pump inside of the bucket. I know it is messed up but I have kept fish in buckets for a week. You just have to do water changes and not feed that much.

Anyway, I hope that helps some. :thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have though about it for awhile and have decided i will go with a couple varieties of multi pairs of other shell dwellers

i will make a thread in the african section asking what would be some good companions aswell as some ideas of what kind of shell dwellers are of the african variety

1 - 5 of 5 Posts