Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks I'm from little old UK and new to the forum hopefully I'll be able to get lots of good info. Maybe in time offer advice. I'm looking forward to getting a nice group of Mbuna but first need help on the below query questions.

I'm in the process of doing a fishless cycle and have a 260Lt Juwel vision tank (bow front). In relation to PH KH & GH. I'm aware I can raise my PH with chemicals and in the first instance will use sodium bicarbonate because it's cheaper than some of the branded products API Seachem etc. Currently my PH is 7.6 with no additives. Currently the KH is 7 and I've not tested the GH.
What I want to know is

If the I can raise the PH using SB to around 8/8.5 will this suffice with the current KH or do I need to use something that will raise both or just the KH and if so what should I use? I'm unsure even after researching it that just adding SB will also raise the KH?
Am I right in saying the higher the KH the more stable the PH will be? and that both are equally important?
Is a KH of 7 suitable to maintain the PH at around 8/8.5?
Do I need to be concerned about GH? I don't have a current GH test kit wondering if I need one.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I have the same KH and pH...it is great for African Rift Lake cichlids.

I would stock it like a 55G.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts