Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going shopping today for supplies to get my 150g African Cichlid tank running. I was thinking of going with a Fluval FX4 which is good up to 250g (or should I go with an FX6) and running 2x200w heaters. Or should I go with 300's? Plan on running sand substrate with rocks/driftwood/plants as decor. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

How many fishies could I run in this tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,882 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What are the dimensions of the 150G? Are you doing Malawi or Tanganyika?

Get a liquid reagent test kit and ammonia. Allow six weeks for the tank to cycle (grow beneficial bacteria to handle toxins) before adding fish.

What is the GPH of each filter? Shoot for 8X to 10X GPH turnover of the water through your filter.

Shoot for 3-5 watts per gallon for your heaters, so the 2 300w heaters sounds better.

Driftwood is usually for new world cichlids...old world (Africans) are more commonly sand and rocks.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Go with at least the fx6. We use two fx6's on our 150 gal. tank. You will find the ratings for all brands of canister filters are way over stated by the manufacturers.
The number of fish depends on their adult size.
What is the temperature of the room this tank will be kept in. This will also help determine needed heaters. Our home stays between 68 and 74 degrees all year and we've just about done away with heaters. With equipment and lights most of our tanks stay about 76 degrees.
We have very good results using sand, driftwood and live plants.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts