Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a week now since I got this new group. One of the biggest male haven't been eating since I got him. He doesn't look bloated or look sick, he's pretty active and chases the females all the time. The other day I actually saw him poo out sand,is that healthy? I do see him grazing on the algae every now and then. I don't really want to lose him. Any advice?

They're in a 90 tank. Feeding them spirulina and fed frozen krill once.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NorthShore said:
How is he now? I have seen dom males spend all their time establishing his territory. Pooing sand is not unusual. They ingest it as they sift through it.
He started eating yesterday but very little. I fed them frozen krill And he took a little bit of it.

He's been chasing the females around and pretty mug claimed the left aide of the rock pile.

I guess he's just a picky eater

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Eating and pooing sand is what they do to try and releave gut problems. I would treat for bloat. Loss of apitite in a dom Tropheus is also pretty sure sine of gut problems. It might be worms but those will not kill it, bloat might.
Stop feeding (anything other than Metro soaked flake) until he is pooing normally.
After treating for bloat and if symptoms persist treat for worms.

All the best James

·
Registered
27 Posts
24Tropheus said:
Eating and pooing sand is what they do to try and releave gut problems. I would treat for bloat. Loss of apitite in a dom Tropheus is also pretty sure sine of gut problems. It might be worms but those will not kill it, bloat might.
Stop feeding (anything other than Metro soaked flake) until he is pooing normally.
After treating for bloat and if symptoms persist treat for worms.

All the best James
This sounds like good advice to me. Get some metro and start treatment asap.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but I had a 32 piece colony of wild caught blue rainbows that ate and pooped sand constantly, and they had no problems.

If he had bloat, you would have lost him by now and two thirds of your colony. And if he did have bloat, the last thing he wold be doing is chasing females and establishing a territory.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Yep sure I am going in heavy. I had a WC male who was thin and stayed dominant and ate sand. Yep he survived for a year before I treated him with Metro then an anti worming product. He then gained wieght and got his full appitite back. I have lost counless WC to bloat when I have not treated. :( And bloat can and often does take over two weeks to kill. Even months or years.

I guess its down to how in danger you see for this fish. But In my experience any Tropheus not keen on its food is ill. Be it a grumbling complaint like worms or something that can kill in days or weeks or months or stay in the tank for years like some forms of bloat. Sand eating is not abnormal but it is done more by Tropheus with gut problems more than the others, honest.
Also take into acount what the poster feeds his fish. Not pellets that gather on the sand and leed to sand intake (not a bad thing) but flake which would require effort and a desire from the Troph to eat sand. Flake being eaten before it hits the substrate.

All the best James

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
We'll have to disagree, James, especially on bloat taking months or years to kill a fish. :) I'm also of the opinion that if it were bloat, other fish in the group would be already displaying the same symptoms.

To the OP, feel free to treat them if you feel it necessary. But I am curious to know how long the group has been in captivity and whether they've already been treated. Did you get them from a wholesaler or a reseller?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update:

He finally started eating two days ago, but would only eat the flakes if i break them up into small pieces(not really sure why). I didn't use metro because i didn't feel like he needed it. Just thought he was more of a picky eater. Will be keeping an eye on him just in case.

He's really active and trying to fight for that alpha male position.

Here's a couple pictures of him and the rest of the group.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The groups were newly imported from africa and was quarantined for about a week and a half before shipping them to me. I purchased them from valleyaquatics.

The groups had been in my tank now for about 2 weeks now and all seems to be healthy and not shy at all. they even eat the flakes off of my fingers.

thank you for the advice, i really appreciate them. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts