Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The LFS, looking to make room for new stock, gave me a 6" vieja today - thanks to me being friends with the guy who runs the place :)

It's a bit beat up - I didn't recall it having some of the bad spots in it's scales like it has now, but, I need some help identifying it.

Please help!

PS: Thanks for the feedback in the other thread - I did NOT put it into the tank with my other Viejas!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I can tell you it's not a synspilium, bifasciatus, breidohri, fenestratus, zonatus, or melanurus.

That leaves hartwegi and guttulatus, and I'd go with hartwegi.

Though hybrids are all too common in the Vieja/Paratheraps family these days.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I agree, I think it's a hartwegi.
But it's often hard to be certain with some Veija/Paratheraps as there are many regional variants; each individual fish is like a 'snowflake" - everyone a little different, and some species only seem to differ by their coloration!

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Very elongated looking IMO as well. The face also seems off for a pure Vieja/Paratheraps. Nice looking fish none the less...feed him well for a bit and fatten him up and then post some more pics ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It definitely needs some fattening up - that's for sure! Beautiful is exactly what I was thinking!

Thanks for the compliments - I thought he/she was stunning when I first saw it - have been eyeing it for months but couldn't get the wife to sign-off on the purchase, but when the store owner went to dinner with the wife and I and he mentioned he would give it to me, I jumped at the chance!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'm on the hartwegi boat.
Guttulatus might be more possible if real ones weren't so hard to find in the first place.
But based on the body and coloration of the fish I think it's hartwegi.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
JWhipple said:
Now I don't feel so stupid :)
I don't see why you would in the first place. The Vieja/Paratheraps groups have been known to induce major headaches! :lol:
For my own sanity I just kinda step back and watch from a distance when it comes to the more complicated ones. Only...I don't know how you did it but you suckered me into this one somehow. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.