Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dirty as in hard water stains or like general muck? Warm water rinsing and scrubbing is always a good place to start.

Then in order from no chemicals to using them would probably be: using a razor blade to scrape the glass (just did that today for a possible 10g nano tank, thanks ktaylor if you're reading this!), white vinegar in rags left on the glass, muriatic acid, and then a final last ditch effort would be CLR.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
JoelRHale said:
Dirty as in hard water stains or like general muck? Warm water rinsing and scrubbing is always a good place to start.

Then in order from no chemicals to using them would probably be: using a razor blade to scrape the glass (just did that today for a possible 10g nano tank, thanks ktaylor if you're reading this!), white vinegar in rags left on the glass, muriatic acid, and then a final last ditch effort would be CLR.
Spot on, I did the same thing with my 55, razors didn't work, but vinegar helped loosen a little of them, then I CLRed the whole tank... But if you CLR the tank, you HAVE to rinse VERY well, as it's a SUPER strong chemical. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Vinegar and bleach are my two main items for cleaning but I do them in reverse of what Bill suggests. I use bleach and scrapers to clear calcium buildup and then a bleach soak to cleanup all the potential fungus,mold, bacteria, oils or other stray things I may have left from cleaning. Rinse and then let air dry once you get it cleaned. I find it may not be wise to worry too much on cleaning. It will be dirty again in a few weeks!!! I don't worry terribly about any cleaning stuff left over. By the time I get done with cycle, I will have changed water and diluted most stuff with water changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts