Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

So i am buying a 125 used with a stand for a nice price. The tank holds water and is in sound condition. However, there are some water marks and calcium stuff on the tank.

So, i was wondering what the bast way to clean it is? I've done some looking, and i've heard everything from Vinegar, to CLR to bleach to "aquarium soap". So i'm wondering what the best course of action is?

thanks all

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
For hard water deposits, in my experience, nothing beats CLR. Vinegar will work for simple water stains but doesn't do well with crusty hard calcium deposits.
If possible, I recommend cleaning the interior with the tank on it's side (not sure how feasable this is with a 125) so you can hose it down and ensure it rinses clean (unless the bottom is drilled), I usually follow up with a very weak water/bleach scrubbing followed by rinsing and letting fully dry.
For cleaning, I usually soak paper towels and lay them on the tank to prolong CLR's contact and give it time to work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tend away from CLR.... Vinegar, even though a weak acetic acid, if used in a strong - straight - concentration will do a good job. Just add elbow grease. Cleaning the tank on the side is a great recommendation. The follow up rinse with a weak bleach/water mixture, rinse with clear water and dry is very helpful !

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
All of the above is good. For glass tanks, if there is a heavy deposit, I use a glass scraper like painters use. I get the really heavy stuff off with it and then wipe again with rags and what ever for cutting the calcium. What cuts calcium is some type of weak acid. Any time you use a chemical in the tank it is a good time to rinse very well. I do a bleach water soak overnight to assure myself there are no snail eggs left hanging around and then rinse and air dry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm cool. I think im going to try the vinegar when i get the tank itself, which should be in about two weeks. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Use a razor blade to get the calcium off, thats what i use. but be very careful with acrylic... u could use a sponge for dishes, the rough side of course.

·
Registered
656 Posts
To add to what has already been said, I like to buy a brand new pack of cheap foam sponges, that way, you know there isn't any chemicals on them. The sponges, very hot water, and a brand new razor blade is what I use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts