Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

While on a camping trip in the Texas Hill Country, I drove by a guy's house whose front AND backyards were completely covered in Texas limestone. I started drooling at the possibilities aquarium-wise, and ended up buying the 4 rocks pictured for $40, roughly 160 lbs. total. Apparently he had been collecting it off private land along the Blanco River (with permission) and selling it to a wholesaler, who had stiffed him for $17,000. So he was happy to get the $40 and I was giddy with my purchase.

I want to use the one pictured at the top as the centerpiece in a 125-gallon tank, but I'm going to have to alter it a little. As you might notice, it only touches the bottom on each end, and doesn't really stand upright. I'm going to have to level it off somehow, and I'm not really sure how to do it. Does anybody have experience with such a project? Any suggestions? I've also though of planting each end in a fish-safe cement or something, to give it level feet. Is there such a thing?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That's a sweet deal. I would just use a chisel and a hammer. Maybe drill some holes to make some week spots and bang it out with a hammer.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Sorry, I don't think the hammer and chisel will give you much more than a pile of rocks. One problem with rock is that it is hard but brittle. It doesn't move until all of a sudden it's gone. I play with building items of limestone and adding value by adding driftwood to make it stand or lay the way I want. If you have masonry drills, they will drill the limestone pretty well and it can be screwed to wood or other rocks to make it stand. I did some tile work when remodeling and still have the little rock saw which does a fine job cutting limestone. Depending how you want to go, you can buy the saw in the $50-100 range or as an alternate, you may look for a brick layer to slip him some cash to cut the rock. A cheaper but slower way that more people might have is using a Skil-type saw. Abrasive blades can be found ($5-10) to fit skilsaws and they do the cutting fair. Takes longer as the saw kerf is wider but it works.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i wouldnt do too much removing. if you find a way you prefer to have the rocks glue em in place. if anything break up a cpl of the less attractive peices so that when your putting together your main peice u can use them for braces, support, cover of less attractive portions of the rock whatever.. just my two cents. either way nice rock!! u should go back and pick up some more. holey rock can sell well on ebay aquabid etc..

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey dggates i honestly think you shouldnt mess with the rock. when you put it in your tank flip it, turn it at different angles etc. you will end up loving one of the positions. same happened to me. also what part of dallas are you in? im in dallas aswell. between the dallas zoo and downtown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts