Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting 29 Lufubu fry this week and will keep them in a 40 breeder for a few weeks until my 150 is up and running. Any suggestions on sand and lighting? I was thinking black sand would really look nice, but every picture I see has white sand. Anybody have pictures of Tropheus with black sand?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I would not use black sand for any Trophs, I used play sand but pool filter sand would also work. I'll try to dig out some pics of my Lufubu when I get back from work tonight.
I used tf lighting on all my trophs and different colour bulbs for Lufubu than my Moops. I think it will depend on the strain of Lufubu that you get as some show a lot of yellow and some show a lot of darker purple depending on where the w/c's were caught. Mine showed a lot of yellow and I think I used two, 48" 6500k t5's on a 5' tank.
If they are the more purple variant I think a combo of either 6500k and colourmax or 10,000k and colourmax would be better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. Why do you say definitely no to the black sand? Does it wash out the colors? Pictures would be great when you have time.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Howler_33 said:
Thank you for the response. Why do you say definitely no to the black sand? Does it wash out the colors? Pictures would be great when you have time.
They will darken up over black sand. I always used light sand and painted the back of the tanks blue. I'm having a hard time finding pics.
Most of my pics were on Photobucket before they turned into a pay site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts