Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stocked my 110 gallon tank with 25 Muragos on Sunday evening. Some of the fish are about 1.25 inches while some are closer to 2 inches.

This is the layout:

I started feeding them yesterday and turned the tank lights on at the same time. I accidentally overfed them at the first feeding and they all ate voraciously. I'm soaking their food in Metro as a precaution (on the advice of others on this forum).

This morning I noticed that four of the fish are keeping themselves in the corner like this (since this shot was taken earlier this morning, all four have been in the same corner):

Only the 1.25 inch fish ate this morning. The bigger ones just let the food drift by (the feeding was MUCH smaller today and was gone in about a minute).

Water parameters are all good (ammonia, nitrite = 0, nitrate = 5)

Should I be concerned? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
nice tank!

2 days is still "settling in" time, but its a little disconcerting. I would keep feeding to a bare minimum (barley anything) for the first week. Overfeeding to make sure that food floats past them is the worst thing you can do. When they get comfortable, and hungry enough, they will find the food. Do you have a hospital tank? IF they are still like this by thurs, I would take them out and put them in that and treat the tank water with meds.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I just got home from work and see that the four who were huddled in the corner this morning are not there anymore but none of the fish are hugely active either. Occasionally they swim around in bursts across the tank but for the most part they just seem to float in place.

I had turned the lights on (on a timer) yesterday after they'd been in the tank for 24 hours but I've turned them off for now. I'll cut way back on the feeding.

As I said I was soaking their food in Metro (as a precaution as recommended by several people). Should I keep dosing with Metro in case the lethargy is due to bloat?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
yea, it can't hurt for the first week or so.

I would leave the lights totally off for the next few days. It seems they are having a hard time settling in. You want to give them the best chance possible... no stress.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do.

Last night I noticed one little one just sitting in a back corner for almost an hour. I thought it was dead and stuck my head around to the side of the tank to take a closer look. It suddenly darted away about a foot, spun around, came back and started displaying at me. After I backed off it seemed fine the rest of the evening.

I also spent quite a bit of time watching the group with just the light in the room on. They spent a lot of time hiding or sitting near the bottom but every few minutes there would be a flurry of activity as a few of them would display and take swipes at each other (even the little ones).

This morning when I turned the lights in the room on so I could see them, they woke up and since then all the larger ones have been swimming up and down vigorously in the back corner. I fed a very small amount of food soaked in Metro. The little ones all chased what little food there was and ate but the big ones kept on with their swimming up and down the back corner. Anyone have an explanation for the swimming up and down?

·
Registered
554 Posts
That picture of the guy huddled up to your thermometer looks just like a bullied fish (I keep malawians). But as everyone has said, it's too soon to tell. Let them settle.

That's a good looking tank!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nina_b said:
That picture of the guy huddled up to your thermometer looks just like a bullied fish (I keep malawians). But as everyone has said, it's too soon to tell. Let them settle.

That's a good looking tank!
Thanks for the feedback. The fish huddling by the thermometer didn't end up staying there. He's blended in the with the rest of the group since the morning I took the photo.

Once in a while I see another one in another corner but it seems like they're just working out their hierarchy. None of them seem to stay in a corner permanently.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update (and recap so you don't have to read the whole thread): I stocked my 72" 110 gallon with 25 Trophs (1.25" to 2") about ten days ago. I didn't feed them for the first 24 hours and then fed them food soaked in Metro for about the next four days. For the first few days only the smaller ones ate while the bigger ones ignored the food (I did find the barely recognizable remains of a small pleco that had been added at the same time as the tropheus though and believe the big ones were chowing down on him).

Since Monday morning (48 hours ago) all but 2-3 of the larger fish have been eating voraciously. These few that are not eating tend to spend a lot of time hovering over the sand in an area where there is a fair bit of water current near the front center of the tank. Occasionally they will chase other fish away and at other times they will get chased away if they visit either of the rock piles at the ends of the tank.

As I said, these 2-3 fish don't seem to be eating at all. They do occasionally pick at the sand. If a plant root comes off one of the plants and is suddenly floating about all the fish will madly chase it about the tank except for these two or three who stay fixed in their little zone. They've been like this since Sunday.

Should I be doing anything about these fish that aren't eating or could this still be them settling in?

My water parameters are good (amm = 0, nitrites = 0, nitrates =5 ppm, pH = 8.2, temperature = 79 degrees).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts