Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,136 Posts
I can't offer much for your Tropheus, other than to say that @sir_keith and @noddy have been keeping them successfully for a long time. You are getting some great advice and keeping tips.
-
But I CAN provide you some insight into those Live Aquatic Plants I see you want to keep. It looks like you have some Anubias barteri 'nana', sited in those rocks? And with just a few like that, you are setting up what I call a 'Partially Planted' aquarium. And unfortunately, with so few plants... those kinds of tanks are an almost certain death sentence for the plants kept in the tank.
Why?
It's our old 'friend', the Dreaded Algae Monster. Because with so few plants, they won't be able to form any kind of natural defense against the Algae (allelopathy) when it inevitably attacks your Anubias. They are just going to get overrun by that algae, and will ultimately die. So, getting a LOT more plants in the aquarium will help them out in working together in their fight against the Monster. Otherwise, just periodically scrubbing the algae off of some plastic or silk plants may work (and look) best for the tank.
Or....
Growing one or more of the various Valisneria plant species in your aquarium may prove to be beneficial. These are a tough, hardy species that will readily adapt and grow well in the hard/alkaline water of a Tanganyikan based aquarium. One problem with these fast growing species though, is sustaining that fast, strong growth over the long-term. A remedy for that problem is to use more nutrient rich soil as a substrate to pot them up in. As shown here,
Vallisneria twister or Regular one
And, with an understandable skepticism about placing actual plant POTS in an aquarium, it may help to inform the look that can be achieved with potted plants.
Never having kept them, I'm not sure just how much a colony of Tropheus Cichlids will dig through a substrate in an aquarium. But my own experience with Central American Cichlids kept in a heavily planted tank, was in dealing with Cichlids that seemingly NEVER stopped digging and rearranging the substrate. Keeping plants with a 'regular' type planted substrate in that situation, would have definitely led to disaster. But ultimately with enough rocks and plants in the tank, the clear glass pots that the plants grow out of, will fade to almost invisibility in an aquarium. :cool:

Reactions: SNELL

·
Registered
800 Posts
Tropheus do not dig, so that's not a problem, but they graze incessantly, and that's a big problem. Anubias may be fine whilst the Tropheus are small, but as they put on size the constant scraping of Anubias leaves will eventually kill the plant. I have Anubias and Cryptocorynes in all my Tanganyika sand-sifter tanks, but I've given up trying to keep live plants with Tropheus.

Purple Cabinetry Interior design Floor Wood

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the info! Always great to get feed back from you guys. Ill see how the plants do I was worried about the algae and the Anubius but I’ve got another aquarium with loads in there so I’ve just been transferring plants. Hopefully i can have the plants in there while the fish are young but i will see how they go

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Currently setting up a water storage bin, I’m going to pre mix my water have it sit over night and heat up then pump it into my aquarium hopefully I can have a consistent recipe and keep water parameters stable.
What’s your preferred water temp with these fish from what I’ve read 25c is a good temp.
min summer here the tank may get to around 28c

21 - 26 of 26 Posts