Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and gals im just getting started and i have a 55 gallon wich has been running with some goldfish for several weeks and i think im ready for my first lake malawi cichlids... *** done my research and i want to start with some saulosi. my tank is cycled and the water peramiters are all good but i was wondering how much it would cost to buy a male and like 3 females of about 2.5inches. or i might start with some Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt" [how much is a group of 1 male and 3 females of those gona cost me] i was also thinking of starting them about 1 inch [how much are each of those at about 1'] and i need another species as well.. any sugestions.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Take a look at the Reviews section of this website and also www.aquabid.com to get ideas about costs. I know I can't buy those locally and would have to order them from aquabid or an online vendor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya the goldies are already gone[ fed to my brothers oscar] :D and my water has a ph of 8.5 with salt in the water to make it harder and ammonia close to 0 since my tank should be fully cycled now.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ammonia and nitrite need to be stable at zero. Your nitrate will raise. If you don't have any bioload in the tank (no fish or added ammonia) your nitrifying bacteria will die and you'll have to cycle again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well my tanks been empty for 3 days already and i can see theres less bacteria but theres still a decent amount so i was wondering if i could take fish froms my parents comunity tank [6 in pleco,kissing fish molly and mabey a couple big guppys] would this be enough to hold till tues or wed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a thought just occured to me... couldent i just keep putting food in the tank so that it could make ammonia for the bacteria to eat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
DJRansome said:
Take a look at the Reviews section of this website and also www.aquabid.com to get ideas about costs. I know I can't buy those locally and would have to order them from aquabid or an online vendor.
Have you actually purchased fish from this site? Any tips for ordering fish online? Anyone have a favorite vendor?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You can't see the bacteria. What you see is algae. What's in your filter is the bacteria. You can't see it.

Adding fish: It would be a good start, but it might start the cycle all over.

No, food will break down to nitrates, I think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Food will break down to Ammonia. If you continue to feed as you did when you had the goldfish in the tank, you can keep the bacteria alive. You may have gone too long with there being no fish in there for 3 days, but the worst case is you could just force the Nitrogen cycle to repeat by adding Ammonia (food) and have it cycled again by the time the fish arrive in your tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
To hold the bacteria, I would add ammonia. That way you don't have to wait for the food to break down, the ammonia is available to the bacteria immediately. They are probably really hungry!! Use the type that is not mixed with foaming agents...etc. Usually the cheapest, store-brand ammonia on the bottom shelf at the food store.

Since you may have lost some/a lot of bacteria you are going to have to wait until ammonia and nitrite are zero for another week before you add fish.

If you start getting ammonia/nitrite readings again, add used filter material from your parent's tank instead of fish. That way you get the bacteria themselves. A couple handfuls of substrate will also work. You could put it in a net bag if it doesn't match your decor. Don't clean it first!

Finally, on cichlid-forum we are not able to put recommendations or other review-type information in posts...it has to go in the "Reviews" section. Otherwise the post will be locked by the moderators. Aquabid is like ebay for fish, lots of different vendors, read the feedback. Yes I have bought from the site several times and yes my experience has been good and I would do it again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
instead of feeding my tank couldent i just put my filter carteidges in my parents tank...like flaoat them near the outlet of there filter.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
That would take 2 more weeks. If your bacteria have been starved for 3 days I think I'd try to save them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok i have moved my filter to a empty 15 gallon tank with water peramiters from my main tank and added 1 capfull of normal ammonia to the mix to feed the bacteria... is 1 capfull enough and if it is then when should i add another capfull...please reply asap

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Why didn't you leave it on the 55G you thought was already cycled? Along with some filter material and/or gravel from the established tank?

A capful might be too much. Test the water for ammonia and tell us what your readings are?

Basically you are going to add a couple of drops and test until you get an ammonia reading. If you are already getting an ammonia reading, wait until tomorrow.

I think you want to keep the ammonia just barely registering on the test kit. Keep this up until you get a Nitrite spike, nitrates are being generated, and Nitrites return to zero.

If you've already got nitrates, then maybe it's not too late.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the reason i moved it to a 15 gallon was because i have live fish coming by mail on tues-wed and if i did kill all the bacteria then i dont want the tank to be unlivable for my new fish. and what would happen if i kept putting to much ammonia with the filters.... would it kill the bacteria cause i would think if they live off ammonia then it might induce a bacteria bloom or something :) wich would be a good thing since i plan to add the filter back to the tank a couple hours befor i introduce the tank... the test kit i have dosent say the exact readings but it says its still livable for fish. :-?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no what i meant was that i moved my filter to a food rich enviroment to hopefully keep the bacteria alive but if i had kept it in my main tank and the bacteria had NOT been alive and i would have added ammonia then id just be adding harmfull ammonia to my main tank and maid it hard for the soon to come fish to survive. and i plan to move it back before i introduce my fish.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts