Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum but I've been reading the articles posted on this site for a while and I find cichlid-forum very helpful. I've finally decided to be part of the forum.

I have a 120 gallon tank that I'm cycling (fishless) and I can't wait to stock it with beautiful cichlids. As most of us when we start, I've been through a lot of problems but it seems like I'm finally getting closer. I will share my story and pics one day.

Fernando

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Welcome Fenando, and you've made a good choice by going fishless. :thumb: Can't wait to see pics of your setup. What are you planning to stock it with?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be posting pics soon. Although I only have pics from when I just got the tank and not pics of how the tank looks like today. I promise I will post current pics soon, for the moment I will post my story and the pics I have in another topic, today.

As far as stocking, I read the featured article about Malawi's Peacocks and I'm almost sure that those are the fish I want, however, I'm still exploring other options. I like "weird" or "monster" fish such as Arowanas, however, I also love colorful fish, that's why I opted for cichlids and now I'm immersed in this beautiful cihclid world, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. this forum is a great source. I also found the article about an All-male Malawi set up quite interesting.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You can't go wrong with peacocks. I love all of my fish, but my peacocks are by far the most interesting to look at.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Lots of options are open to you with a 120g tank.

You may want to browse the user tank section to get some ideas of what people are stocking.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/

There is a drop down selector on the top of the left hand column (once it loads) and you can pick different stocking themes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What keeps me from saying "Yes, I will stock my tank with peacocks is their size" Are there any big, yet pretty peacocks? I'm talking about 6+ inches.

Thanks for the link! I will take a look at it right now.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Not really for peacocks, but there are plenty of haps you could keep with them that get big. I have a venustus and a red empress that are 7". The venustus gets up to 10" and I think the c. moori get plenty big too.

Come to think of it though, there was a huge stuartgranti maleri at the auction last month, he was at least 7"...more like 8-9" though.

All peacocks are 'pretty'. The males anyway, lol.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like Venustus, maybe I can make it an All Male Malawi tank. I'm looking at the recommended retailers on the site, because I want pure strain fish and I'm not sure my LFS has any.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Weird or monster fish that still look good which are cichlids I would say venestus, frontosa, blue dolphin, livingstoni, as well as many other very large but very colourful haps. A lot of haps get 10 and up inches yet still have the colour of peacocks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chunkanese said:
Weird or monster fish that still look good which are cichlids I would say venestus, frontosa, blue dolphin, livingstoni, as well as many other very large but very colourful haps. A lot of haps get 10 and up inches yet still have the colour of peacocks.
That's what I'm looking for, I would like to stick to one lake also. Big fish that are colorful and not as agressive as mbunas and a variety but from only one lake. I will research those fish! Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I had venestus and livingstoni in my list of "wanted" fish, but like I said I wasn't sure. I love the blue dolphin! Maybe an All Male Malawi Haps will be the way I go.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Lake is in the name, and they aren't supposed to bite eyes in the aquarium. I like their shape, but I think they'll snack on any juvenile mbuna I have in the tank, so I haven't gotten any.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts