Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hye all,

I'm new to the forum..

Just about to start up my second Malawi tank but i'mn really confused on what to get..

After speaking to a few people and doing some research i've come up with the following

12-15 demasoni
7 yellow labs
7 acei

I know the demasoni are very agressive but i read if you keep them in large groups they aggression is reduced quite a bit. And they complement the acei and yellow labs quite a bit. The colours of the demasoni are incredible and i think they'll complement my exisitng yelow labs very nicely. But i dont want any dead fish so your peoples advice would be much appreciated. Oh and by the way i'm gonna get Juveniles.. Can't afford the bogger one's :)!!

Thanks, :thumb:

Mo

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
What are the dimensions of your tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
About 48" x 18". I'd up the numbers of Demasoni to 20, the labs and Acei are good at 7 each. And you probably have room for one more species. You could look at the cookie cutters for a 75 gallon tank (same footprint) in the Library on this website for ideas.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I think you have high odds for success, Demasoni are my favorite mbuna. But that's why I suggested you up the number, if you "fill" the tank with them, the aggressive ones lose track of who they are chasing and no one gets seriously hurt.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Plus the demasoni won't bother a 4th species. You might consider Melanochromis Cyanerhabados, Labidochromis sp. Hongi, Cynotilapia sp. white top Hara Galireya...these all have attractive females as do your first three species. Although I might drop the number to 6 labs/4 acei if I was going to add a fourth species.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I wouldn't keep 2 Labidochromis species together because they will hybridize.
Met. Callianos is a safe bet 1M 6F as is the Cyanerhabados.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about Lab. caeruleus and sp. hongi hybridizing. They are significantly different from each other, and are likely not very closely related.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'd avoid the saulosi, as the males have similar coloration to the demasoni, and the females look enough like the labs that there's a very real possibility of hybridization. I enjoy my cyanorhabdos, but I don't think I'd put MORE than 34 fish in a 75 gallon tank. Of course I like slightly "understocked" tanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Muhammed said:
12-15 demasoni
7 yellow labs
7 acei
This is about exactly what I just stocked my 55 gallon with - I've enjoyed watching them all day - the Acei's and the labs seem to swim together - the demasoni stay hidden in my rockwork... all mine are juvies... I've seen little aggression, but I'm going to keep a close watch on them all, especially the demasoni.... but the blue of the demasoni is so vibrant - they're real interesting to watch. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts