Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. Great site! :thumb:

I recently bought a 55 gallon already established fish tank with what I was told/believe to be a Hongi breeding pair, 2 of their fry of a decent size, and 2 little dinky fry I catch glimpses of... a Salvini (Central American Cichlid- I'll go over to the SA threads to ask about him though), a rather large Pleco, and a smaller 'albino' (or maybe chocolate albino?) pleco.

The sand on the bottom posed a problem for water clarity and the tank stayed cloudy for a few days. We replaced our filter though and it's cleared up to this point pictured below. I went to the fish stores and asked what I needed to maintain the water parameters these fish required, but I was told that only Amquel+ was necessary (and I think they only told me about that because they didn't think I knew to dechlorinate etc LOL) I also bought a product called Cichlid Essential which I was told I did not need because it was an established tank and we moved it with water in it (NO FUN!) Is there anything else these guys might need?

This is what the tank looks like, I know forums generally love pictures!

Regarding my Hongi though (which is why this is posted here) Daddy Hongi has been changing colors a lot and really putting the moves on Mom (I think) He wiggles on her and tries to push her into more private quarters- or so it appears. I am really curious what I'm seeing and also what I should be looking for if they are breeding. They've been successful in the past obviously, but I spend so much time staring at them I'd like to know what I'm seeing.

While I'm posting pics...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The filter they gave me with the tank was not the one that had been running on it. They kept that one and gave me a different one. It died a loud agonizing death this weekend and we replaced the whole thing.

The tank came with all the fish and has been running for a few years... the guy I got it from had moved it the way we did when he moved, but we won't move it like that again if we can help it... we just drained it down far enough that two men could carry it and filled buckets with water and fish. I think less than half the water was kept though. It was gross for a few days and has never been clearer than it is in these pictures with the new filter... which drives me nuts. I considered taking out the sand, but all the cichlids move the sand a lot with their mouths (even the fry lol) and seem to like making their home their own.

The local fish store would take the pleco if I needed them to, but I thought I still had some time with him since it's a 55 gallon and I do vacuum the gravel every week. My boyfriend would be bummed if I got rid of his Salvini. Why does it have to go? Could it be happy in say a 30 gallon if I set him up his own little tank? Where would I find more Hongi, and do they have to be the same size as the ones I have?

I have testing supplies and can monitor the water, but I'm not sure what levels I'm supposed to be at. Everyone seems to be doing well, and the guy at the fish store said I didn't need anything other than dechlorinator and possibly baking soda... but that's why I came here, because I can't always get a straight answer at the fish stores and I don't know enough about it yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts