Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to CF!

I'm a bit concerned over you moving the tank with water in it, so you want to be really, really watchfull for leaks. (They should never be moved with anything in them unless you have full support to the entire bottom of the tank while moving them...) Doing this can weaken the structure of the tank, and problems don't always arise immediately after the move.

You need to decide what you want from this tank.

The salvini needs to go, if you're interested in keeping Malawi cichlids. Mbuna (the hongi) aren't pairing fish, so you would also want to add more females, before the male kills the single female - they are harem breeders.

What do you want from the tank?

Alot of colour?

Breeding?

If you want alot of colour and you want to go with Malawi cichlids, remove the hongi female and build an all male tank.

If you're interested in breeding (again, with the Malawi cichlids) I would add more female hongi and choose 1 or two other species for the tank and build breeding groups of those.

You need to monitor the water closely if you replaced the filter media. It looks like you might have released alot of debris into the water from the sand, and with new media you could go through a small cycle with the tank. Did you use all the old water? Did you replace the entire filter, or just the media?

Let's get the current water parameters on the tank before adding anything else at all...

And you might want to get rid of the larger pleco, if it's a common pleco, they can grow very big and basically just add alot more waste to the tank than most people want. (Bristlenose plecos stay small, and are great algae control.)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The salvini has different needs than the other fish you are keeping. I wouldn't put a potentially 7 inch fish in a 30G, but I suppose if that's all you have in the tank, it would be better than leaving him in with the Malawi cichlids.

You need to be monitoring ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates, at the very least. Post back when you get the readings and we'll try to help you out. I'm just afraid moving it the way you did and adding new filtration might mean some problems, and you can do long term damage to the fish if you don't stay on top of it.

Post an ad in the trading post once you decide what species you want (and for more hongi). Or, check out our review section for retailers in your area.

If you want to go with breeding groups, try to stay away from any two species that look overly similar, and I wouldn't go with two species from the same genus to reduce risks of crossbreeding.

Once you focus on some species that you're interested in or can find easily, post back and everyone will help you out!

Personally, I think I'd be inclined to let the tank sit as is for awhile, just to make sure you're not going to have problems from the move (leaks or structural damage) and to let the bacteria reestablish in the new filter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts