Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first serious attemp at raising tangs.

I have a 55 gallon (48") tank that I plan on putting a group of 10 multies and a group of 6 cyps in. I had hoped for more cyps but they are hard to come by. I hear they do not ship well so I don't plan on going that route.

My question is.....what else can go in the tank with them that would reproduce without eating their own fry or that of the multies and cyps?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Cyps sometimes eat their own fry. You can try to leave them in the tank with the adults, especially if there is lots of cover for fry, but it's safer to raise them separately.

As far as other fish to combine with this combo goes, there are lots of options, but I can't think of anything from Lake Tanganyika that would not eat the fry. I've got a 125G with similis and tricolor cyps, which has a similar problem. I keep bristle nose plecos and assassin snails in that same tank, and they are breeding more prolifically than the cichlids :)

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I had 30 cyps shipped to me and they did fine. Just buy from someone that ships a lot of them. If it wasn't going well, they wouldn't.

My xenotilapia sima's have ignored my paracyp fry. I don't know about eating their own fry. I've seen one so far, and he didn't last long. Weird because I've got some 20+ paracyps of all sizes. But the paracyps hang midwater, and the xeno fry would be trying to survive in substrate or rocks. I can't think of any other tangs that wouldn't snack on fry if given the chance. Nothing you can add to a 55 anyway.

·
Super Moderator
40,497 Posts
My cyps eat their own fry. I'd think the cyps would eat multie fry and multie's would eat cyp fry anyway.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK thanks for the replies. Bummer....I hoped to keep both in the same tank and raise fry. I guess I'll keep the multies in their own 29 and the cyps in the 55 and either strip them or let them spit in a 10 to save the fry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts