Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 40g Mbuna tank (now I only hav 3 labs, 1 flavus, 1 demassoni and 1 mainagano) for about 2 years. Im quite tired of them and thought to move to Tangs.

I have two questions:
First, can I combine Mbunas with Tanganyikas? ( I know that most of the members will say that mixing between groups and especially Lakes is not recomended, the question is whether this is possible)

The second, I dont really know where to start from, what to read (excpt two articles here..) Are there any species that I should start with? Any combinations you might advice p.s. I like color!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
you can always mix the lakes, but its your fish. some fish will harass other fish to death. mbunas are very active and they move around alot. tangs are less active. they like to stake out their territory and defend it. *** got yellow labs with my black ocellatus for now, but as soon as the black occies went in, the labs started to peck at them. they settled down now. maybe having larger lamprologines would help. calvus, alot of the neolamprologus would work.

is there any fish you seem to like?

mixing lakes are possible.

i suggest you move the mbunas somewhere else and devote the tank to a tang tank.
1 more tank wouldnt hurt :wink:

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Right, what are the dimensions of the 40G? And to set expectations, Tangs in general have very subtle colors.

I have a 38G with Altolamprologus Calvus and Lamprologus Caudopunctatus. Plan is to eventually have a pair of each.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you like color stick with malawi's, much more colourfull than tangs generally speaking

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tang's are sweet by themselves why would you want to ruin a good tank with mbuna's?
I would start with some calvis or maybe some shelldwellers, or possibly maybe some julies.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Calvus are my favorite and very cool. The other thing I like about Tang tanks (at least the Tangs I have so far) is that they are carnivores and you can have a planted tank with them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.