Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 7 Lamprologus stappersi/meleagris (take your pick on the name).

4 of them have carved out distinct territories hovering over a few shells each.

3 of them kind of just hang midway up the tank in various spots. Sometimes these 3 get pestered, sometimes they can get right up to the ones guarding the shells and have a nice cup of tea.

At night the 1 runt of the group buries himself/herself in the sand. It looks so sad with just its head out of the sand trying to sleep.

None of them are pinned in any top corner of the tank with fins clamped so I'm assuming everything is just fine.

Anything out of the ordinary with anything I have described? Also would it be the boys or girls guarding the shells at this point?

Oh and one of them attacked my hand as I came in to remove some of the smaller shells that were getting no use (cleared some paths up for more sand bulldozing). These little fish have serious attitudes and major bravery!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Sounds normal for shellies, and I'd say the larger males have the shells. The others are probably either female or smaller males. I've got the same thing going with ornatipinnis. Waiting for the males to accept the girls. As long as no one's getting beat up, let it go and see what develops. I added rocks to the back of the tank for them to hide out in, so they don't have to hover midwater.

And yes, shellies can be nasty. They'll come after you.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I've given them the best chance at being happy... though I'm not sure if these fish are ever happy. I think they all have PMS :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed this morning that the aggression level was kicked up a notch again. After watching for a short while it became pretty clear why... seems one of my boys might have a girlfriend.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Fantastic. :thumb: One of the best video's that I've seen in a long time. Great tank, nice fish, captured a spawn, what else could you ask for? I've read that when two are spawning, it can get the rest worked up. Might have been what happened. Watch for the fry in the shell within the next several days. And take more video, please. :popcorn: When people ask what the big deal is with shellies, just link this video.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cool video, cheers for posting :popcorn:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was so STOKED to capture this. Definitely will be making more videos. These little fish are so cool. :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mama and papa have their hands full guarding that shell now. The smallest fish in the tank is constantly trying to get in to the eggs. Mom is standing guard mid water while dad is stationed at the mouth of the shell. Mom sometimes goes out of her way to attack the would be intruder when it is in a different corner. Time to show the runt who's boss of that 6" space!

·
Super Moderator
2,018 Posts
Excellent video, very well done. Congratulations on the spawn. I can't believe how fast the other fish are moving in that video.

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted when the fry arrive.

Dee

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a still shot of the eggs. Hard to see them all but there are at least 10 inside. Got lucky they chose a shell in a good viewing position.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another male is guarding his shell very closely. So I took a look inside and sure enough his shell is covered with eggs inside. That makes 2 confirmed spawns and I've had these fish just about a week and a half :thumb:

·
Registered
158 Posts
NICE!!! :D I just got some of these (The exact kind you have) a few days ago. Very interesting fish. Got the same shells too....lol Picked them up at the craft store. My 3 males have there shells burried. 2 females are hiding on the other end of the tank. Hopfully they will spawn soon too. Great video. I'm waiting on other fish to come in the mail. (Bad weather delay) I will post pics of mine then. Great video!!! :thumb: :popcorn:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Enjoy your new fish! They are characters. I was fixing some stuff in the tank today and one male terrorized my hand the whole time.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my first batch of fry must be almost ready to venture out. I'm watching the nursery pit construction now.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm interested to know how long till they come out , When my brevis spawn it's 16 days from the time she lays the eggs until I see fry out of the shell

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll keep you posted. The spawn was only 5 days ago. Maybe this is just a practice pit being dug :popcorn:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So today I noticed more eggs in the first shell where fry should have already hatched. Either these guys are spawning non stop or perhaps something happened to the first batch?

·
Registered
656 Posts
It is not uncommon for shellies to " fail " the first couple times they spawn. If the fry aren't developing they will eat the eggs and try again

1 - 20 of 26 Posts