Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im going to get a new to me 75 gal all glass aquarium with the glass versa tops, and the matching wood grain stand. Plus he said he has a bunch of drift wood and other stuff I can pick through and fill up the tank if I want. He wants the stuff gone. Said he has about 15 tanks for sale from 5g to 130g.

So do you think that $75 for the stand, tank, tops and a bunch of random stuff is worth it?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So another question for you guys. The guy says he also have an acrylic tank same size and everything if Im interested but for $20 more. So if you were me what would you opt for? Never had an Acrylic tank before, but I hear they scratch easier. When they say it will scratch easier, do they mean with a house with 3 kids, 11, 8 and 19 months that it would be in my best interest to go with glass? Does anyone with an acrylic tanks actually notice a difference in ease of heating it since it is suppose to be 20% more efficient at insulating?

I know there is a lot of threads out there about this, but the people who have gotten acrylic ones do you regret it now? Im not too concerned about the sealed corners as long as it doesn't leak. Our tank doesnt get pounded on so I dont think I would have to worry about shattering it.

Also I know my tanks is kinda what would others would say is overstocked, so with getting this 75 do you think I will have any more room to add any more fish or think I should stick with what I have? If I added anything it would be more Dems and Labs.

Gonna look to trade in my Peacocks towards some, so should I assume 1 peacock for 1 dem stocking wise? (know i wont get one for one at LFS) Really nice fish but just dont look right and still remaining after my starting off "impulse buys"

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guess Im gonna just stick with the glass one. Its cheaper and being only a 75g I dont think I should have to be too overly concerned with it shattering since its no longer than my current 55. Have read that even brushing up against the acrylic and can scratch it and that kinda scares me.

What should I be looking for as far as the seals go and stuff indicating it could leak? Not sure if it is filled up or in a position to be able to test it for leaks.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The guy says he also have an acrylic tank same size and everything if Im interested but for $20 more.
For $20, buy it. It's a risk, but if it's in good shape and holds water, it's worth hundreds and may be a good investment even if you don't plan to keep it for yourself. Unless they are deep, you can easily buff out any scratches. Acrylic scratches easily, but buffs out easily. Sounds like you should just get whatever this guy is offering and resell it. You may recoup all of your expenses and more. More I could say about acrylic, but gotta run.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had small acrylic for my bettas a couple years ago. They were nice. I never noticed any scratches and I was by no means cautious when cleaning them. The only one I had a problem with is the one I dropped :x I was emptying it after I lost the betta that was in it. When it hit the hardwood floor it shattered the corner. It still holds water in an emergency but I don't use it full time anymore.

I now use all glass tanks because they are readily available and reasonably priced, even for new ones. If it were me it'd take the extra tank. It's $20, and a darn good excuse the set up another tank, or just have it as a backup. Never know when you'll need it for an aggressive fish that needs separated.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I think you guys mis understood me, the glass tank and stand was $75 and for the acrylic INSTEAD of the glass with same stand is was $20 more, so $95.

I ended up going with the glass one, the stand, a 250w Eheim heater, the 2 glass tops for the tank, a box of driftwood, and a couple of them glass bulb style thermometers for $100 even. Tank is in great shape, stand is good, and heater looks new yet. They also had several other tanks for sale all for reasonable prices. So if anyone in WI looking for a decent deal PM me and was told to give out their number.

·
Registered
50 Posts
:oops: sorry for the misunderstanding. I think you made a good deal. Glass would have been my first choice too. Contracts on a great find. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Am getting pretty pumped for the morning!! :D

Have the new 75, a new Hydor Koralia 750, new heater, background, Tom's surface skimmer (Shhh.... He doesnt know I have it :p ) and a box full of drift wood that I was given today along with a few more of them Cichlid stones. Plus all the stuff I had in my 55. Then to top it off I stopped at the LFS for the new background and the always loved Clearance Table was setup with a whole pile of silk plants marked down to 2.99 from 14.99. So HAD to grab a few of them.

Now just have to figure out how to place the two PH's and two canister filters I have for the best flow along with the pile of cichlid stones and driftwood. Any suggestions would be great to maybe save me alot of trial and error time here.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There its all setup and filled, fish are in and seem happy. Just transfered about 45 gallons out of old tank and just moved over filters without cleaning. Just added purigen and a surface skimmer to my fluval.

Think I should have put the skimmer on the Eheim 2075, using that strictly for BIO filtration, (since the bottom intake on skimmer isnt near the bottom of tank, and use the fluval 405 for more of a mechanical filter? Have a new impeller coming for fluval hoping that solves my low flow problem so if it does think I will switch them around unless you guys think I should leave it setup as it is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congrats...Post pics please... :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dmpjr said:
Congrats...Post pics please... :popcorn:
Ohh I will be. Just that the water is still cloudy so I was kinda waiting for it to clear up since everyone else's tanks on her doesn't even look like they have water in them half the time! :oops: Filters only been running for a couple hours since filling and it is noticeably better already. Just hoping I dont get a bacteria bloom from switching tanks keeping it cloudy for sometime. Hoping this purigen works like everyone says. Have 2 100ml bags in the top tray of fluval, but flow is was down while waiting for impeller so Id imagine it will take longer to clear it up.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well here is the new setup so far.... I know the water is a little cloudy yet, and not nearly as cool as others I have seen on here. Am always open to suggestions and such. :thumb:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh cool. I like it. =D>

I've been wondering about the cichlid stones. What do you or rather the fishes thinly of them? Are they reasonably sized for adult cichlids?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rmiller said:
Oh cool. I like it. =D>

I've been wondering about the cichlid stones. What do you or rather the fishes thinly of them? Are they reasonably sized for adult cichlids?
I and the fish seem to like them. I have a holding Red Peacock that is about 4 inches maybe a little more and she is in and out of them all the time. The couple adult (or close to it) Demasoni that I have have staked one to themselves and just love to hang out and around it. They definitaly more than picking some field stone, but they are light, excellent for catching fish in, dont take up much water volume and are easily removed and replaced during cleanings. That first serious cleaning made realize how much I really like them.

Also might add that my full size dem's usually use the smallest ones in there too. Large ones are pretty big and bet any size Mbuna will fit in them with out a problem.

Hope that helped and feel free to ask anymore questions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I appreciate the info. Definitely gonna pick some up next time I get a chance.

Do you worry about them falling? I have seen where other forums suggest a dab of silicone between rocks to prevent rocks from tumbling down.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just start my first row about 2 inches or so out from the back wall of tank and just stack them into the holes between them and up against the back wall. It never looks the same as before whenever I re do it but it seems sturdy enough for me and Im SUPER paranoid about stuff like that happening. I put my sand up around them to keep the bottoms one from sliding out on me and it hasnt failed me yet. Now with the Peacock holding the male chases her so she has been darting behind them and still hasnt moved them at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts