Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 110 last weekend. no lids and a canopy that doesnt serve alot of purpose ... trying to decide the best way to add glass lids. ( i can cut normal window glass with the cutter) but im alittle lost on how to make it work well. *** looked on here at canopy ideas but none really give me what i want out of it. im a carpenter and i know how i want it but im just having problems visualizing it. any help you guys can give on the glass? pictures of canopy ideas ? size of glass?

oh yea ... no supports in the middle of the tank like my 55 has the tank is glass probably half inch thick. its not filled yet and im scared of it flexing and what i make for it not work.

what do you guys think? has anyone done all this work to a 6ft tank themselves and have pointers/pictures that could help me?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Some of the older tanks don't have them as the glass is thick enough to prevent any considerable bowing, You can take the rim off and replace it with another with supports. I did that on a 90 because glass lids w/o center supports isn't an easy option.

Also I'd go to a few stores that sell tank/stand/canopy set-ups and look at how they did it. I wish that is what I did before I built a canopy that is a PITA

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
gmaschke said:
Some of the older tanks don't have them as the glass is thick enough to prevent any considerable bowing, You can take the rim off and replace it with another with supports. I did that on a 90 because glass lids w/o center supports isn't an easy option.
Interesting....
How thick was the glass on your 90 gal? I know on my 75 gal- (the glass was .5" thick) -it bowed out. I ended up replacing the frame and putting in a eurobrace for the same purpose you did- "glass lids w/o center supports isn't an easy option"

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where could you look at the rims with braces/supports in it? *** never seen it or noticed a store that had em! ... online would be an option?

dimenions are 72"x 18" X 18.5t ....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts