Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out my fish were african cichlids and now i have a lot of ?s after checking out this site.

1. My fish are caught out of a pond not from a store, and i just bought a BRIGHT orange and BRIGHT yellow ones to try out. Was this a good idea even though they are all african cichlids?
2. what types are the orange and yellow ones?
3. i have one whom i assume is a female that seems to have traits of males? why?
she is blue, but does the digging in the gravel and chases all the other fish away from her area
4. i have an african frog in my tank that they never bother but thay have bothered any other fish i've had before them. why the frog is cool?
5 Finally, my tank is a 55gal and i have about 15 total of these fish and some look both male and female, but i do have more blue than yellow ones u say are males. includes my 2 new ones.
IN ALL, any suggestions for me will help alot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
I would start by posting pictures in the "Unidentified Cichlids" section of the forum to determine what kind of fish you have. Simply telling us the color isn't enough information to identify them or sex them. And also what pond are you catching fish in that have African cichlids in it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,942 Posts
google:
yellow lab Labidochromis Caeruleus
Cobalt Zebra Metriaclima callainos
Red Zebra Metriaclima estherae

There are hundreds of breeds available in the hobby! Do any of these match yours?

digging and chasing isn't a male thing. Can you post pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Pictures will help us identify them, orange and yellow might be a red zebra and a yellow lab, respectively.
Did you catch your african cichlids out of a pond in Florida?

Also a complete stocking list of what is in your tank will help.
African frog? They probably don't bother it because it's not competition for food or a potential mate.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,535 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!
emtjessica said:
1...i just bought a BRIGHT orange and BRIGHT yellow ones to try out. Was this a good idea even though they are all african cichlids?
It depends which species they are and what other fish you have in your tank.
emtjessica said:
2. what types are the orange and yellow ones?
Pics will help as suggested.
emtjessica said:
3. i have one whom i assume is a female that seems to have traits of males? why? she is blue, but does the digging in the gravel and chases all the other fish away from her area
Females do those things too. Or it might be a male. Behavior is not always a reliable way to sex fish.
emtjessica said:
4. i have an african frog in my tank that they never bother but thay have bothered any other fish i've had before them. why the frog is cool?
Is it a dwarf african? Or an african clawed? I think diet would be an issue since bloodworms are a staple for the frogs and not recommended for mbuna. The dwarf needs non-aggressive tank mates and the clawed will eat tank mates. I'd do the frogs in a separate tank.

emtjessica said:
5 Finally, my tank is a 55gal and i have about 15 total of these fish and some look both male and female, but i do have more blue than yellow ones u say are males.
15 is a good number for a 55G depending on which species and what genders. Pics are the next step. :thumb:
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top