Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased four fish from the local pet store chain. I am new to fishkeeping and the fish were not well marked at the store. I believe they are all Mbuna. The yellow striped ones (I got 2) were marked as bumblebee and I think that is accurate.
bumblebee.jpg

I also get a blue one that I think might be a cobalt blue from looking at pictures. Does that seem correct?
cobalt.jpg

The final one I don't have as clear of an idea. I was thinking maybe another cobalt. Can those be striped? Or maybe a Demasoni?
blue striped1.jpg

bluestriped2.jpg

I have a 120g tank setup. Would these go well with a Pseudotropheus SP. Elongatus "Chewere" 1-2 males with 3-4 females
Chewere.jpg

and a male electric yellow labidochromis caeruleus?
Yellow lab.jpg

Also, will all of these have any chance of being okay with some giant danios, rainbowfish, and 3 rainbow sharks?

As I said, I'm new to fishkeeping in general and there seems to be a lot more to consider with the African Cichlid Mbunas than I would have thought.

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
The second one is socolofi and the blue barred one is not demasoni but IDK what it is. Others are better at ID than I.

What are the dimensions of the 120G? If it was 72" long then I would say get more females for the 3 species you have since they are aggressive. Do not add yellow labs or elongatus because you will be fully stocked once you add the extra females to manage aggression.

If the blue barred mystery fish turns out to be lombardoi a.k.a. kenyi then I would want the 72" tank and have only the 3 species you have already with 1m:7f of each.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It sounds to me like you already have the elongatus, and Labidochromis. Is that correct?

The first fish is Pseudotropheus crabro. (Bumblebee) Not a bad looking fish when young, the females yellow fades some, and the male turns dark brown, grows to 8" and can be quite aggressive. If I could rank which mbuna I'd keep, from first to last, they'd be last.

The second fish is Chindongo socolofi. (Used to be Pseudotropheus socolofi)

The final fish is Metriaclima kenyi.

The sharks will quarrel with the cichlids. They are pretty tough though, and should do ok, sometimes they don't. The Danios will be fine.. .and the rainbows, it really depends on which types you get.

What do you want from this aquarium? Breeding groups, or a bunch of different bright coloured fish, and not worry about breeding, or raising babies?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
The second one is socolofi and the blue barred one is not demasoni but IDK what it is. Others are better at ID than I.

What are the dimensions of the 120G? If it was 72" long then I would say get more females for the 3 species you have since they are aggressive. Do not add yellow labs or elongatus because you will be fully stocked once you add the extra females to manage aggression.

If the blue barred mystery fish turns out to be lombardoi a.k.a. kenyi then I would want the 72" tank and have only the 3 species you have already with 1m:7f of each.
It is 72" long. I think I'll have to move the bumblebees to another tank or rehome them, since they are that aggressive. Also, I'd rather have the elongatus. Will they cross breed if there are 3 species in there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fogelhund said:
It sounds to me like you already have the elongatus, and Labidochromis. Is that correct?

The first fish is Pseudotropheus crabro. (Bumblebee) Not a bad looking fish when young, the females yellow fades some, and the male turns dark brown, grows to 8" and can be quite aggressive. If I could rank which mbuna I'd keep, from first to last, they'd be last.

The second fish is Chindongo socolofi. (Used to be Pseudotropheus socolofi)

The final fish is Metriaclima kenyi.

The sharks will quarrel with the cichlids. They are pretty tough though, and should do ok, sometimes they don't. The Danios will be fine.. .and the rainbows, it really depends on which types you get.

What do you want from this aquarium? Breeding groups, or a bunch of different bright coloured fish, and not worry about breeding, or raising babies?
I do already have them, just in a smaller tank for now since I just got them. I was told to wait a little before I put them in my large tank. I was only planning on having males other than females of the elongatus. Is the metriaclima a female then or can males be blue too? In my limited knowledge with google searches I came to the conclusion the males were yellow. Would it be possible to just have one breeding group and then 2-3 other males of different species?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts