Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow fish keepers, I've recently set up a 180 litre 3 foot Jewel tank, with white sand as the substrate and currently not too much in terms of rocks but that's all in the plan.

My idea was to put 4-5 yellow labs in (1 male rest female), 4-5 blue cichlids and 4-5 red zebra cichlids (again 1 male rest female). Oh and 1 bristlenose pleco for algae control.

Currently the tank has 4 yellow labs, I believe I have 1 male and 3 females although he is extremely agressive the other 3 yellow labs are in hiding unless it is feeding time.

The blue cichlids I purchased them labelled as 'blue zebras' but as I am new to this I did some searching and there seems to be many blue cichlids so I am clueless to what I have I am attaching an image here hopefully someone can identify them for me so I can learn about them:

The red zebra from what I can gather will be these is that right?:

I would like to have the tank almost marine looking, white sand substrate, 5 yellow labs, 5 of these blue cichlids and 5 of the red, with the pleco for tank cleaning (algae), and work on the rockery/coral part as I go along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the tank also, I have plenty to do I think based on others set ups, I will lose the fake bridge in the middle soon and fill the gap with more rock:

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's way too many fish for a tank that size, and, a 3 foot tank is probably too short for Mbuna except for maybe a few dwarfs.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
I can't see any of your pics, you need to use an image hosting site or upload pics directly from your device using Full Editor and attachments.

I agree, too many fish for that size tank plus too many different species in a 3 foot tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those red zebras see very aggressive from what I've just been reading. I would be happy with the yellow lab/blue Cichlid combo however I have no idea what the blue Cichlids I have are? Also now that red zebras are illiminated from the equation could I have say 5 of each yellow lab and that blue Cichlid (plus the Bristlenose!) and that would be ok in the 3 ft tank? Sorry for so many questions this is new to me but I am a fast learner.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
With a 36" tank I would do 1m:4f of the yellow labs only.

The 36" tank limits the species that will work for you, and usually a one species tank would be preferred.

Yellow labs happen to be one of the limited species that will work in a 36" tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts