Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently added peacocks to my already mixed tank... I have been doing research to find suitable tank mates but every site has different suggestions. I have an angelfish, a blue gourami, and 3 silver dollars plus the peacocks (I'm returning the female, so she doesn't get chased to death) can i/should I add more male peacocks, or different cichlids? So far, everyone seems to get along great, and even school together. Any help/tips would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

I would first decide whether you want to keep the peacocks or the angels/gourami/silver dollars. I would not mix them.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Here is a stocking plan featuring angels for your sized tank:

• Pterophyllum scalare - 4
• Mikrogeophagus ramirezi or altispinosa - 4
• Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis "Lemon Tetra"- 8
• Otocinclus affinis or vittatus - 2
• Corydoras myersi - 5

You can find information like this in the Cichlid-forum Library > Quick Reference > Cookie Cutter Tanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I will check that out, and def consider setting up my smaller beginner tank for my other fish, I've had them for a while and dont relish the idea of rehoming, but I want a happy and healthy tank :)

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Well remember the angels and non cichlids that you have may not do well in a smaller tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found a new home for the angelfish and I'll be placing the gourami and silver dollars in the other tank in a couple of days. Thanks for the advice so far!
I'll have just the male peacock, so with a 55g that is 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21 what should I stock? Stock with an all male peacock tank (I read should be different colors and patterns to avoid aggression) or are there other species I could add? Everything I read gives me different answers and I would love some input so I dont make any more mistakes!

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
All male tanks are challenging especially in a 48x12 tank. Read the all-male article in the Cichlid-forum Library to learn about pros and cons.

I like mixed genders for peacocks. 1m:4f with the male showing colors and the females being silver/brown. With a 48X12 tank you could also do 1m:4f yellow labs and 1m:4f Placidochromis electra (a blue hap).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, I'll look into that. I'll have to check another pet store, the one nearby just houses all the juveniles together as "african cichlids" or "peacocks" so it's hard to differentiate between the different species

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Not uncommon, but I would buy somewhere where they label them with true scientific names. Online has the best quality, selection and prices, in spite of shipping costs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe I'm going to order from <vendor name removed>, at least I know I will be getting the right species! I really appreciate all of your advice! I'm stoked to dive into the world of Malawi cichlids

1 - 11 of 11 Posts