Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank is a 5 x 2 x 2 that has been fully cycled. I think in gallons this is about 150 gallons? I'm more acclimated to litres! This is the current list:

5 x yellow labs
3 x electric blues
2 x demasoni
5 x peacocks (3 different varities)
3 x syodontis multipunctatus
1 x troph. duboisi
1 x convict (will be going ASAP)

So, it's been pointed out to me that aside from the obvious stand-out of the convict, that the demasoni and duboisi could be an issue - do you reccomend removing one/both demasoni? And can the duboisi stay? It is a juvie, doesn't seem to be getting picked on or picking on anyone else. Obviously if this changes it won't be staying.

Second major question: is this tank now fully stocked (good overcrowding vs. too many cichlids) or should there be more cichlids in this tank? (if so, what would you reccomend).

I am really appreciative of any advice - I am not new to fishkeeping, but cichlids are another kettle of fish! I just want to get my tank right, now, while I still have the juvies and they're a little less aggressive - I want to weed out any possible future issues now rather than later.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
A couple of issues, the most problematical first.

Peacocks crossbreed so you probably want only one species per tank if you are going to have females.

If you have 5 peacocks and 3 species I assume there are females mixed in. Juveniles and females are pretty much impossible to ID once mixed. So I would take some peacocks out but not sure how to advise you which ones and I don't think you can sell them, give them away or return them to the fish store.

Malawi are harem breeders which means they are best kept with one male and four or more females of each species. Further demasoni have a rep for doing best with a large group of 12 individuals or more and IME I have always kept 20 in a large tank like yours. One would work as well.

Electric blue is a common name for a bunch of fish...which do you have? Fryeri? Johannii?

Are you wanting an all-male tank or a mixed-gender tank?

·
Registered
226 Posts
i have 18 peacocks a peacock is a peacock they all are all crossbreeds with different names unless you get them from different regions and thats not a for sure.. i had some one ask me if i had pure gold fish had to bite my tounge i only have 300..

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
marvo said:
i have 18 peacocks a peacock is a peacock they all are all crossbreeds with different names unless you get them from different regions and thats not a for sure..
Ummm ok.... I think you are a little off the mark here.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Why get rid of the convict? Unless you want all African a convict would be fine. As long as water conditions are stable it's fine. I would say you can add alot more fish in your tank. Maybe more dems? I have mixed peacocks in my tank no breeding going on. The females usually lack male coloration. They are usually beige or gray. I know what my females are so I'm waiting to get a similar male. Even if they breed your other fish probably finish off the fry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even now at their juvie size of about 2" they are all very brightly coloured - no beige or gray to be found among these fish. As they aren't intended for breeding purposes, I don't see that if in the case there are any fry, that this would really become an issue?

Not going to get any more demasoni - violent little fish - but maybe some more peacocks if the tank is large enough? The convict though, as an American cichlid will still probably get moved. I thought they preferred lower PH levels to the Africans.

The electric blue isn't a johannii, but apart from that I'm still too new to tell you; give me another few months of becoming familiar with these types of fish.

As for the amount of stock in the tank, if keeping cichlids of these sizes (peacocks, labs) how many would be considered a 'good' number in a 150gl tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
The "good" number depends on whether you are going all-male and which species you have.

The labs, demasoni being all bright colors you can still have females because for those species, males and females look alike.

If your peacocks are all bright colors then you have all males. And with 5 individuals and 3 varieties that means you have some duplicates. The problem with that is they are likely to fight as one male will view another male of the same species as a competitor, even without females in the tank. The other problem which apparently is not happening now in your tank is that the sub dominant male will "turn off" his colors and no longer be a brightly colored fish.

The problem with having females is not getting rid of the fry (although you could have survivor hybrids) but it's with aggression. If the majority of fish in your tank are brightly colored males and there is the occasional female in there, she may not be safe. She could be harassed, sicken and infect your tank. Or she could be killed.

Are the electric blues solid blue? Or horizontal stripes? Usually you can ask the seller about the scientific names of the fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taking in this advice; if I become aware of any females, I will take them back to the fish store. I think I may also take back two of the peacocks in exchange for ones not currently in my tank.

The electric blue is like the one in this link: http://www.petfish.net/pix/electic_blue2_blair.jpg

Another problem I have when I visit my LFSs is that all of them, even larger cichlids, are all brightly coloured. This can't possibly be from just colour enhancing food??? I am assuming that all these brightly coloured cichlids are males, but is it possible that there are females mixed in? I've seen pictures of females but I'm still waiting to see any in the pet shops locally.

Just when I think I have my head wrapped around it, I get more confused! I just don't want to end up with unhealthy or unhappy fish :) Thanks for all your help so far guys! This forum is the best resource I've found yet.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Likely all males. I've noticed many fish stores don't get a lot of females in - possibly the suppliers to the stores don't want competition.

Some species are monomorphic like DJ said. That's one reason I have the species I do in my tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Or yes, it is possible for the fish to be fed food with hormones which can cause females to color up and males to color up prematurely. It's illegal here but a common practice in some other countries.

Your electric blue is Sciaenochromis fryeri. Females of those are drab as well.

In 48" for an all-male tank I like about a dozen fish, one male of each species, no two that look alike. I like small fish so mine (except for the borleyi) mature at 6" or less. People have success combining in a breeding group of labs like you have.

With a 60" tank maybe 18 fish? Depending if you pick small ones like I did. Don't count the synodontis! I would add peacocks and haps instead of mbuna.

I probably would not have added the demasoni or the tropheus but now that you have no harm in trying it. I'd probably have only one demasoni though.

Have you read the article in the Library on all-male tanks?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts