Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 72 gallon bowfront for my birthday. I really want to do an African Cichlid tank. I have lots of experience in planted tanks. Since I have sold all my ADA stuff and now have this bigger tank, I'm looking for something a little easier to take care of.

I plan on running all of my old Eheim classics for water movement and cleaning. I'm going to run two 2215s with their regular media in them and one 2217 with just the Efeimech like I read on the web for just bio filteration. I might even hook up the output of the 2217 to some sort of underground spray system like I've seen on here???? Is this to much water movement? The Eheim classics really don't have that much of a GPH output, plus if I were to redirect the output of the bigger filter to the bottom of the tank with underground sprayers, it should move the water nicely?

Tank dimensions are 48"L x 18"W x 22"H

I'm not going to be setting up the tank until later this year, so I have plenty of time to plan it out. Since I'm in North Texas, we already have liquid rock coming out of the tap :thumb:. I plan on using some sort of crushed coral sand for the substrate and local limestone from the stone yards that are all over around here.

What would be a good stocking for this tank when it comes to Africans? I've read all about the blue/yellow mixes:

Pseudotropheus saulosi

or

Pseudotropheus demasoni
and
Labidochromis caeruleus

What I really like, but I'm not sure if these would all get along well in a 72 gallon would be some of the following:

Aulonocara stuartgranti (Ngara) - a pair or trio
and
Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe)
and
Iodotropheus sprengerae
and/or some of the following
Labidochromis caeruleus
Labidochromis textilis
Labidochromis sp.
"Zebra Eastern"

I looked all of my list up on the web, and these all seem to be "peaceful" cichlids. Would there be any issues keeping Peacocks, Haps, and Mbuma all in the same tank? Should I just stick to a basic Mbuma tank?

Thanks for any help,
Brian

·
Registered
55 Posts
Give them plenty of hideouts and caves along with some open swimming space for the haps and I think you'll be fine. I would stay away from the highly aggressive mbuna, and it looks like you're doing that for the most part, although you may have some problems with the demasoni. Keep the stocking level high (30-ish fish in a 72 gal). You'll have "issues" with almost any mix of rift cichlids - you just have to be ready to react and get rid of bullies on occasion. In some cases, you may need to cull large aggressive haps down to a single male of the species. You'll also minimize aggression problems by starting out with juveniles.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Lab textilis are more or less non-existent in captivity. Anything you see that resembles one is likely a juvie or female Melanochromis joanjohnsonae, nasty little fish.

Saulosis are nice and relatively calm - mine have caused no problems in my tank.
Demasoni will make your peacocks too stressed out.

You could probably get away with the species listed (I would only do a male of the peacock and hap instead of trios) at the end of your post.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answers to my questions. It sounds like I'm on the right track. I'm probably just going to stick with one of the yellow and blue combos of mbuna. I really like the peacocks and haps, but I think mbuna are more of what I'm looking for since I'm just starting out.

Thanks again,
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts