Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 75 gallon tank with fish and supplies from a neighbor. Best I can tell, it's current inhabitants are 1. Iodotropheus "Rusty", two Labeotropeus folleborni, two Labidochromis cauerules, two Metriaclima lombardi, 1 Metricriaclima esterhae, and a synodontish catfish.

Performed my first water change (about 10 gallons) and tested the pH and Carbonate Hardness.

The pH was good (about 8), but I think the carbonate was a bit low (if I was interpretting the results correctly as around 6 drops of API KH Carbonate drops to turn the sample from blue to yellow.

Any suggestions on the best way to increase the hardness of my tank?

The fish all seem fine after their move 2-3 weeks ago, have good color, are active and eating well...but just want to maintain the tank to an optimal level as the previous owner.

I'll be glad for any advice you can give me....thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most of what I read suggested a 10-15% water change, so that is what I based it off of.

What is the best way to add the salt? Should I add it to the living filter so it gradually enters the aquarium?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You can use baking soda to increase KH (carbonate hardness). Here is a handy site for calculating how much to use. Keep in mind you don't have 75 gallons of water in your 75 gallon tank due to the substrate taking up space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tannable75 said:
You can use baking soda to increase KH (carbonate hardness). Here is a handy site for calculating how much to use. Keep in mind you don't have 75 gallons of water in your 75 gallon tank due to the substrate taking up space.
Thank you so much for that link...that's exactly what I was looking for.... I siphoned off about 3 gallons of the tanks water, added 2.5 teaspoonfuls of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt, and my KH is up to 8 now...figure I'll repeat weekly as not to affect the fish too much.

What is a good target? 12?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I keep mine at about 15

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.