Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been entertainin' the idea of creatin' a cichlid tank for a few months now. I'm still not sure what size aquarium I would like to get. Anywhere between a 10G to a 40G. My favourite so far are the little Rams.

I would like to think the stockin' and design out before I get everything set up, so I don't end up with something I am displeased with.

I would like the tank to be mostly rams, but what else would fit with them? Also what kind of plants and decorations would fit their habitat?

G

·
For Blue rams you need a mostly planted tank and you could get neon tetras and a couple of cories. Are you wanting to get Blue or Bolivian rams. Also the amount you get would dictate the size tank needed.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Blue rams are a pairing fish. In a 20 or 30 gallon long, you can easily do a nice planted set-up with blue rams as your centerpiece, an ABN pleco and a school of small tetras. Bolivian rams can be done with a group. You could do five in a 30 gallon long. If you go up to a 40 gallon breeder, you could do a pair of Central American rainbow cichlids . . . You might be able to do two pairs of blue rams in a 40 gallon breed with the proper line-of-sight breaks, but I've never personally tried it. (not generally had much luck with blue rams.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A friend of mine used to breed fish, and has sense left it, I think she has either a 36 or a 40 that she may be lookin' to sell, so hopefully that is what I will be gettin'. I can't decide between Blue or Bolivian, my LFS gets both but rarely at the same time, so I guess that will be the decidin' factor when I finally get it set up.

Thank you for the ideas on stockin so far!

I do like how neons move inside the aquarium, so they would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The disadvantages and advantages of blue vs Bolivian IMHO

Blue: prettier but can be more delicate/sensitive and you need pairs

Bolivian: Larger, more personality, more activity, hardier (much) and you can do a group without worrying too much about gender ratios. Can be bullies to each other, so lots of plants and hideaways are important.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As far as tank size I would say the bigger the better so if you have room for the 40 over the 10 I would go for that. Rams are pretty sensitive as far as cichlids go so I would get the tank established and cycled with other fish before adding them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts