Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to this forum.I am just completing my new 60 x 18 x 18 inches aquarium and want to try keeping Central and North American cichlids after years of Discus,angels etc...Could anyone give me any ideas of compatible tank mates.I rather like Jack Dempseys.What would be an ideal companion?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you want to go with a JD, then I have seen a lot of people have Firemouth's as a tank mate. I do have experience with a JD, Firemouth, Texas,2 female Convicts. So far it has worked but they have been in the tank together for about 6 to 9 months. I have heard that JDs and Salvini do not work at all but with you tank size, who knows. I would also think that convicts will work as well but I would not do a breeding pair in the same tank. I do not have a lot of experience in keeping cichlids and made a lot of mistakes while being a beginner in keeping cichlids. I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i have the same size tank at the monent, i have had it about a month now,
my fish are all babbies. i have 1 female JD, 1 male convict, 2 oscars, 5 firemouths, 1 plec and 1 gold Severum, all is well but it wont work long term.i think il end up with 1 jd and 1 oscar.
time will tell.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Breeding pair of JDs with a FM would be cool. Could even maybe try some giant danios as dithers :)

Throw in some sort of algae eating plen and viola, a lovely display tank :)

My tank is a bit deeper and taller than yours and i have a female JD, FM, Pair of Sajica, Tiger Oscar, BN plec and Synodontis ocellifer. The Sajicas get a little tatty when they're spawning but everyone gets along just fine :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
There's no way I'd put a breeding pair of JD's and a firemouth (even a pair of FM) in a 60 inch tank. A pair of firemouths and a single male JD would have a better chance.

Salvinis and JD's are very compatible---as long as it's a large enough tank. A 60 inch is pushing you luck if both are males, but a female of eachusually will get along.

JD's are one of the most compatible CA species...you could easily do a single same sex JD, Convict, FM, and a school of fast moving fish such as giant danios or Austrailian Rainbows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts