Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently doing a fishless cycle on a 55 gallon and i am making my stocking plans, i want a mbuna tank with some variety. How does this stock list sound??

1-Melanochromis johannii
6-Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)
3-Metriaclima estherae (Red)
6-Labidochromis caeruleus (SRT)
1-Synodontis Multipunctatus

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Suken said:
I am currently doing a fishless cycle on a 55 gallon and i am making my stocking plans, i want a mbuna tank with some variety. How does this stock list sound??

1-Melanochromis johannii
6-Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)
3-Metriaclima estherae (Red)
6-Labidochromis caeruleus (SRT)
1-Synodontis Multipunctatus
Check out the 55 cookie cutters in the 55 here.

Generally, you want 3 mbuna species in a 55 and get at least 3 Synodontis.

The Red Zebra and labs will cross so you would not want to have any fry leave the tank.

I always get at least 8 juvies of each species and remove males that become a problem until I get to a 'peaceful' tank. You generally want 3+ females per species.

I would stay away from anything highly or extremely aggressive in the profiles section. This would include (but not only) any Melanochromis, Ps. Crabo, Ps. Elongatus, and Kenyi.

A tank with:
Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)
Metriaclima estherae (Red)
Labidochromis caeruleus (SRT)
Synodontis Multipunctatus

Would work just fine given the cross breeding caveat above.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just a couple of small notes in addition to the very good advice Goofboy has already layed out for you.

1. I think you're combing two species into one. There is a Labidochromis Caeruleus (a couple different collection points for yellow, blue, and white labs) and a Labidochromis Sp. "Hongi" (SRT). If you're really interested in the Hongi and the stunning males, remember that the females are very drab in comparison to the L. Caeruleus females. Rusties would give you some of that same color profile (light blue/purple and orange) and tend to have slightly more colorful females.

2. Synodontis Multipunctatus are much happier kept in groups (think 4-6 fish), if you're looking to stock just one synodontis cat, you probably want to steer clear of the more social species (S. Multipunctatus, S. Lucipinnis, S. Petricola) and maybe look into something like Synodontis Eupterus who get larger and are okay being a solo (though i don't think they're nearly as attractive or active as a Multipunctata).

3. If it were me, and variety was very important I would look into a fish that is dimorphic, but with attractive females in lieu of the SRT (and/or the Acei who can tend to get a little big for a 48" although if you love them you could definitely give it a try)...species like Metriaclima Sp. Msobo (Blue and black mottled males and orange/yellow females...although they can be a little on the aggressive side for some people in a 48" aquarium but i think if you get your ratio right you should be okay), Cynotilapia Sp. "Hara" (powder blue with thin dark barring on the males, blue females), Pseudotropheus Saulosi (Blue with black barring on the males, bright yellow females), and Labidochromis Sp. "Pearlmutt" (males are white with yellow fins, females are white with black barring) just to name a few. You can also find Orange blotch zebras, or M. Estherae with blue males and orange females to further your variety...just keep an eye out for similar color or body shape when selecting your fish to reduce any conspecific aggression or breeding.

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like the "Acei" and the fact that it swims in the upper region of the tank and i love its coloration, should i back down the amount of them to 4 cause of their size. My only questions is in the cookie cutter section it states a max of fish of 12 but eveyone says that i should stock 6-8 of each species what is correct??

revised stocking list, is this better

4 or 6-Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)
6-Metriaclima estherae (Red zebra)
6-Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow lab)
1-Synodontis Eupterus

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
That'll be fine, as long as you keep up on your water changes... 50% per week. Overstocking is actually - for the most part - extremely beneficial in cutting down aggression.

Your RZ and YL WILL crossbreed, so generally it's asked that you don't distribute any fry from either. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Suken said:
My only questions is in the cookie cutter section it states a max of fish of 12 but eveyone says that i should stock 6-8 of each species what is correct??
What it really comes down to is you generally want only 1 male per species and multiple females for that male to target his 'affection'. 1Male to 1Female usually leads to a dead female with mbuna.

Since the species you are looking at are pretty much impossible to sex when young - you get a larger number of young and remove 'extra' males as they become a problem.

The odds of getting a certain number of males and females, etc. can be found using the calculator here.

If you enter:
.5 - Probability of success on a single trial (chance being a female)
6 - Number of trials (# fish purchased)
3 - Number of successes (x) (# females wanted)

0. 65625 - Cumulative Probability: P(X >= 3)

Shows you have roughly a 66% chance of getting at least 3 girls.

If you enter .5, 8, 3 you can see you have roughly a 86% chance of getting at least 3 girls.

So it comes down to what odds you like.

It is far easier to put in more juvies and have them grow up together removing extra males than to try and add adult fish later on. Hence the advice you are receiving.

The cookie cutters show 'final' stocking numbers.

Hope this helped.

Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts