Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

So after much agro with herself, *** decided to do a Malawi setup in my new 90g tank. Had planned on a tropheus setup but the colours of the malawis had her whining for them so here we are :roll: . So what do you folks think? Peacocks or mbuna? The tank is cycled and ready to go, just need some stocking ideas. Im leaning toward the peacocks and Im not interested in breeding them so might go all male. Thanks in advance for your input :thumb: ,

viper

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you're not interested in breeding you will get the most color out of an all male Peacock/Hap tank.

I don't know much about them to help with stocking ideas but good luck!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Like Joel said, if your going all male (which is more of a challenge with mbuna) you will get more color out of the peacocks and haps. Beware though that route will also cost more as buying proven males can be over twice as much. FYI, even if your not interested in keeping any fry and like the Mbuna's you could stock a couple syno cats for you fry clean up crew and still see their nature behavior with 4 different species in your tank.

Me personally, I just hear of many stories of trying to get an all male tank to work that I thought Id enjoy a mixed gender tank more and went with that.

Whatever you do I am sure you will have fun with it and be sure to keep us updated. :thumb:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Can't go wrong with an all male peacock/hap tank. However, I'm one of the few that absolutly love the all male Mbuna set up. It's more challenging but worth it in my opinion. Just something to think about! Peacocks/Haps are a bit calmer and have some great colors but I think the same can be said for the Mbuna males if you can get the right set-up. The best choice is the choice YOU decide! Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers lads. Is it possible to keep a couple of males of the same species together in an all male setup? I figure if there are no females to scrap over that things would be settled? Or will they still fight over territory? Thanks,

viper

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have seen multiple males get along fine without females but I have also seen them kill each other. It depends on the setup species and dumb luck.

·
Registered
448 Posts
viperbot said:
Cheers lads. Is it possible to keep a couple of males of the same species together in an all male setup? I figure if there are no females to scrap over that things would be settled? Or will they still fight over territory? Thanks,

viper
I wouldn't recommend it, it's better to go all-male with single species.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might take a chance and mix some of the milder tempered mbuna with some peacocks. Do you think the following would work? Jacobfrebergi, Stuartgranti and Baenschi with Labidochromis caeruleus, Pseudotropheus acei and Cynotilapia jaloreef. If this would work, is there anything else I could add? Cheers,

viper

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I don't think I would call Jalo Reefs mild tempered, LOL. I had a Cynotilapia sp. hara kill a baenschi.

Labs and peacocks usually work. Sometimes acei. Everything after that on the mbuna aggressiveness scale is pretty much "try it and have a backup plan".

Of course, that is true for every fish in an all-male tank as well. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, I can setup a small system in case I need to remove something in a hurry. I still have a lot to read up on so back to the drawing board. Nice one man,

viper

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's always good to have a 10-20 gallon set up incase of emergency. Or if you're using a sump, that can double as a holding area.

Try to find an LFS that will take trades and not just the prescribed return period so you know you can take any problem fish back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts