Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I just started a 20g tank. I was wondering how many and what kinds of African cichlids I can keep. I'm starting with a 20g to get more comfortable with them, then plan on setting up a 75g eventually. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
No cichlids can be in a 20 gal tank long term. They get too big and too territorial . You might be able to get away with it if they are juvies, and your planning on upgrading to a 75 in the very near future...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
We just setup a 20 gallon long for a few shellies and juli.transcriptus.

I use my 20 tall for a growout tank.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
40 breeder is really nice. A little tougher on filtration unless you use a canister (intake and output separated).

You could probably treat it like a 75 since it's 4' long.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What types of fish do you think I can have in the 40 breeder? like I said before, after I got more comfortable with them then I was going to upgrade to a bigger tank. I was looking at african cichlids. thanks.

·
Administrator
41,694 Posts
There are a lot of African cichlids. Malawi would be pretty limited in a 36" tank. A single species of dwarf mbuna, something like Pseudotropheus saulosi would work. Tanganyikans you could do two pairs, say a pair of calvus and a colony of shellies. Or a colony of brichardi. Victorians a single species would work too, for example Ruby Greens or Christmas Fulu.

·
Administrator
41,694 Posts
Inverts will be better off in a separate tank from Rift Lake cichlids. Maybe some other Africans are OK with inverts.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
It's difficult to keep many types of africans in a tank less than 4' for the long term, but you can buy 1-2" juveniles and grow them for awhile before you get a bigger tank. They are far cheaper bought this size, so you can afford to buy a group or two of what you really like. You'll then have a breeder/hospital/quarantine all set up!

I recently tore down a 44 corner tank (basically 2' cube with a corner lopped off) that had about 15 male mbuna in it, but I started with nearly double the fish 4 years ago and the females/sub males had to gradually be removed as they got beat up. If I had known better, I would have never put the females and duplicate males in there.

I've been all over these forums lately, and it seems that there are two setups that work: either all males, one of each species, or a few groups of 1 male per several females of different genera. The first option makes for a very colorful and impressive tank, the other allows you to observe the breeding behavior and possibly end up with free fish!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the great info. Was gonna take a look at the local fish store today. See what they have for choices? Thinking of probably going with one of each species,as brinkles said as a option. Thanks again for all the help. Lol, only problem is there's so many choices......

·
Administrator
41,694 Posts
Just be ready with the 48" tank within 3 months...they grow fast.

One of each (all male) for a 48" tank figure 8-10 fish. Choose fish that mature at 6" or less and go with a theme of either haps and peacocks or mbuna since mixing is more risky.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These are the ones I was looking at:

Zebra Haplochromis
Butterfly​​ ÂÂ
Buttikoferi​​ ÂÂ
Ice Blue​ ÂÂ
Kribensis​​ ÂÂ
Sm. Jewel​​  ÂÂ
Albino Zebra Red Fin ​ ​ ÂÂ
Pearly Lamprologus​  ÂÂ
Sunshine Peacock​ ÂÂ
Red Empress​​  ÂÂ
Rusty​  ÂÂ
Electric Blue Hap​​ ÂÂ
Electric Yellow​​ ÂÂ
Zebra Haplochromis​ ÂÂ
Tropheus Moorii
Pseudo Cobalt​​ ÂÂ

Will any of these work well together

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.