Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 45G tank with a rainbow shark, pair of kribs, BN pleco and an assortment of barbs. We will soon be in the process of setting up a wall unit containing two 90 G tanks, I decided to do two tanks vs one very large tank so I can have different species of fish :) I am very excited about this, but am taking my time to research and plan it out right. In one tank I want Mbuna cichlids for sure no wavering there. So if it were up to you, what would you put in the other tank???? Looking for suggestions/ideas. I am thinking cichlids from another region. I have thought one tiger Oscar, one albino. Right now I am thinking maybe a Green terror, but with what other smaller fish??? I have also thought a Severum or Chocolate cichlid. I think I am wanting a centerpiece fish.

Thanks! Excited to read what you would do!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My husband loves the puffers. But are they saltwater?? And then nothing else? right?? They would eat any tank mates?

·
Registered
146 Posts
branw said:
My husband loves the puffers. But are they saltwater?? And then nothing else? right?? They would eat any tank mates?
If I'm not mistaken there are a couple of species of FW puffer, but I think most are brackish species. Hopefully somebody will confirm that.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
For a small fish that is not often seen in some areas there is an old favorite. The rainbow cichlids is a great small fish that can be kept in larger numbers or closer quarters. They are a great choice to get a group of maybe six and let them pair off. I would suggest looking at them herotilapia multispinosa
They can have great color and change at the blink of an eye depending on their mood. Great to watch them raise a family. They would not do well with a group of rough fish, though. Very gentle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did some looking into puffers recently as i'd really like to get into them after i get the wife used to the cichlid tank :wink:

most puffers are listed as either brackish or salt water ... even my lfs has them in freshwater and tells me that's fine, but any reading i have done say they won't do well in fresh water and must be given salt (even if in low concentrations - brackish).

Also, they are predatory and even very small puffers will go after other fish and thus they aren't communal fish and need a fairly large tank 30-40 per puffer minimum.

still .... very cool fish - just not maybe your first tank ... but if you're doing 2 tanks ...

for more info http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/

·
Registered
284 Posts
The site Aedes posted has good info, I highly suggest checking it out if you want puffers. Just don't listen to what most lfs will tell you on what species of puffer do fine in freshwater... most of them give bad advise. If you go brackish I'd recommend the figure 8 puffer, in a well decorated 90 you could get away with 2-4 of them... I would personally go with three.
If you're leaning towards cichlids, for a nice peaceful tank I would do a mix of bolivian rams and keyholes, maybe take a risk and add a school of cardinal tetras for colour. For a single aggressive cichlid I would try a vieja argentea.

·
Registered
623 Posts
discus? That would be an awesome centerpiece tank. The centerpiece being the fish. I personally would probably do one mbuna tank and one peacock/hap tank. Im currently doing a Blue Dolphin, Venestus, Taiwan Reef, Hap 44 set up in my 90. All are juvis except the 44s so i have plenty of time to upgrade to a 6ft tank. I find a male Venestus would be much better and exotic centerpiece than an Oscar. You could fit a single male in a 90 along with a few smaller haps. Although if i were to do an SA tank i would drop the oscar and put in some Green terrors, with other dither fish, convict pair, etc.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If it were me, I'd make an aggressive tank. House an Aurastus, a Jack Dempsey, a Green Terror, and a Convict.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could I have a green terror and 2 severums? Was thinking one green and one gold. Would that max my tank?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts