Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up my first cichlid tank. Its a 55 US gallon tank that is 40 inches long. I am running 2 x filters on it and have used sand for the substrate - and created a rockscape using slate. It is currently undergoing a fishless cycle - but one of the filters contained media from an old community tank (obviously at a lower ph) - so not sure if this will speed things up or not! Anyway, I took the kids to a local fish store to get an idea of what fish they would like and my son has become completely fixated by the Ruti Island (Pundamilia Nyererei). So - the idea of this tank is to create as much colour as possible - but I realise that it is a small tank for cichlids. Would you suggest a species only tank - or would it be possible to have a few different species - and if so what would your suggestions be? I quite like the idea of the Zebra Obliquedens. Ideas of the numbers of fish that would work with this tank would be great.

Thanks

Jonathan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - sounds like i'll have to have a conversation with my son about the Ruti Islands!! Would you stick with the single species Chindongo saulosi (I do like the look of them) or could I mix various mbuna species?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts