Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I posted a while ago on here about converting our 180ltr to a Cichlid tank and settled on a Saulosi species tank, we have now purchased a new tank as we have decided to resituate where there is more room.

Being made is a 48″ x 24″ x 18″ 295ltr.

My question is we are still set on a Saulosi species tank as we are new and it will be a good introduction to the Cichlid side.

If we do stock Saulosi would 1m:4f be OK to then breed more and fill the tank to higher numbers? We have enjoyed the breeding the most out of our tropical tank.

Are there 2 species that could exist and be able to breed?

Thank you

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are going to be a ton of answers here. I think you 1m 4f would work fine. If you wanted to add another species you have a few options but based on the size of your tank and the concern for cross breeding I would probably just recommend Iodotropheus sprengerae - Rusty - 1m 4f. They stay pretty small and are known for being pretty docile for an Mbuna species. I really like mine.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
The saulosi could spawn for you with 1m:4f in a 48x18 tank.

Couple of thoughts:
1-you are unlikely to be able to get 1m:4f and chances are you will have to buy 8 or more unsexed juvenile saulosi in an effort to get 4 females. The extra males may or may not color up or they could be aggressive so you may end up rehoming them.

2-it could be a year before they spawn and then a year for the babies to grow enough (in a separate tank of course) to be safe adding them to the adult tank. Is this a long-term project?

3-being alone in a 48x18 tank they might hide too much for your happiness. Larger groups make them feel safer.

Another species to think about with saulosi is white labs. You could do 3 species slots with saulosi to get a bunch of blue barred males and 1 species slot with the white labs for contrast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes this will be a long term project we would rather stay away from full stocking to allow breeding to fill our capacity.

How many Saulosi would be a right group leaving space for offspring as to feel comfortable?

Don't mind 2 species though not keen on white labs, would Metriaclima Callianos Zebra Pearl Kirondo or Pseudotropheus Ndumbi Super Red work?

We really would like to watch our fish grow and spawn to create our full stock that's our plan? Again all help appreciated tank should be here in 3 weeks.

Thank you again

·
Registered
424 Posts
Adam84 said:
Yes this will be a long term project we would rather stay away from full stocking to allow breeding to fill our capacity.

How many Saulosi would be a right group leaving space for offspring as to feel comfortable?

Don't mind 2 species though not keen on white labs, would Metriaclima Callianos Zebra Pearl Kirondo or Pseudotropheus Ndumbi Super Red work?

We really would like to watch our fish grow and spawn to create our full stock that's our plan? Again all help appreciated tank should be here in 3 weeks.

Thank you again
Once they start spawning they don't stop and unless you have a fry tank, you'll find most of the fry are eaten. If you have extensive rock work then some may survive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There will be a lot of rock work and we are hoping nature will take its course so some survive some not, when we have a good number we are looking to introduce some synodontis multi or luccipinnas then with the current stock numbers will hold with maybe 1 or 2 squeezing past?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
You will have to take the moms out when holding to get a reasonable amount of fry with each spawn. I never have survivors so you can't count on that...maybe 1 or 2 squeezing past every year or so even without the Synodontis if you let the moms spit in the tank. Also with 1-2 survivors, it will be hard to get enough females fast enough to manage aggression...you need a max of 4 males in your tank (if you do only saulosi) and 16 females.

You will be fine with your fish hiding when you have only 5 in the tank and for the first year or two?

Yes the Metriaclima pearl will work. Skip the ndumbi...too aggressive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you appreciate the help. Our plan looks like it will work providing we have a holding tank and an eye on the M:F ratios.

At what point will the fry be safe to re-introduce to the main tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
When they are 2 inches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts