Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm pretty new to the fishkeeper game and have a cichlid tank that I just recently set up. I was just looking for some tips or pointers on what I should change or do to make sure all my fish live healthy and full lives. Right now what I've got in there is a demasoni that I've had alone for about 5 years, 1 electric yellow, 1 electric blue Johanni, 1 bumblebee, 1 Male and 1 female I believe auratus, 1 Livingstoni, 1 snow white socolofi, 1 blood parrot and a common pleco. They're all in a 75 gallon 48"Lx18"Wx20"T. I've done more research on them all since I got the tank and am worried about aggression and which ones I should keep an eye on or even separate. If I could get some advice on it I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
I would remove any females (cause aggression) as well as the livingstoni (needs 72") the blood parrot (not compatible) and the pleco(they get too large).

Then add six male mbuna that look nothing like the ones you already have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrighty. What's the best way to tell between male and female? I know of the egg spots on the fin but is there another way to tell?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Venting is always a better option to know sex.

As two species in your tank,Johanni and auratus are dimorphic, i can give you an idea to find the sex.
Johanni male will turns blue once it reaches its maturity and female will be remains orange.
Same pattern for auratus(Male-blue with white stripes Female - Yellow with black stripes) , but female auratus may change its color to show the dominance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts