Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a little bit of knowledge on cichlids but I need help deciding what kind of fish community I should have. I am picking up a 110 gallon tank tomorrow 60" long 18" wide and 24" tall. I want colorful and active tank. Something with alot of rocks/caves. I like the look of frontosa cichlids, but what other cichlids go well with them? Possibly a malawi tank, but not sure what exact species to chose and how many I can have.

I like kind of aggressiveness but nothing I have to worry about, just something interesting to watch.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, this is my first big tank so im pretty excited

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It's a bad idea to mix frontosa with malawi cichlids. Frontosa are peaceful and will get bullied. Look at the cookie cutters section to start narrowing down your ideas. Mbuna are usually most people's first choice for active and colorful, and you could have 4-6 groups of fish with a 60" setup.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would do a Mbuna setup the very active and fun to watch . Look at the profiles and see what species you like .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I have decided that I don't want to do frontosa, and I do like the mbuna setup, but what about peacocks?

I'll check out the cookie cutter section and get back to you all with some ideas.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
You could do peacocks and haps, and that 6' tank will help you keep some of the bigger species.
Most of the peacock/hap females aren't much to look at, but the males make up for it.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
It's a five foot tank, so a little more limited than a six.

Mbuna mixed genders (five species if you avoid overly aggressive mbuna like auratus) or all-male haps and peacocks. See the All-Male article in the Library.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts