Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to the aquarium scene. However, I would love to here suggestions on a new tank I'm setting up.

The suggestions I'm looking for are as follows :

1) Type of Cichlids/ Number of cichlids(max/min)
2) Decor
3) Appropriate Equipment Needed

Tanks Specifications
75 gallon
Freshwater

All ideas are appreciated! :thumb:

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Can you narrow it down some?

Have you decided if the cichlids will come from South America or Africa?

That is a good place to start & then we can narrow it down some more.. You have a lot of options with a 75..

·
Registered
212 Posts
man , go with Tanganyika. Alot more selection. Way awesomer!!!!!!!!!!

SHellies on bottom,. couple rock dwellers. Maybe cyps. yea. I like that.

Dont forget to use sand as substrate. No under ground filter either!!

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Can't help you with Victoria... If considering mbuna from Malawi, I could give you some ideas...

Can't go wrong with Tanganyika either..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is your tapwater soft or hard? If soft then look at south american or west African. If hard then rift valley Malawi / tang. It will just make looking after your stock that much easier when it comes to water changes. You can alter the chemistry of your tapwater with additives or RO units but it gets more expensive then.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't understand why everyone seems to be steering him away from vics. Have you looked at vics lately? There's some very cool fish available, and they make great breeding hosts for syno's as well.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I don't understand why everyone seems to be steering him away from vics. Have you looked at vics lately? There's some very cool fish available, and they make great breeding hosts for syno's as well.
I wasn't.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well for vics, the only experience i have is one species. I have a trio of hap 44`s or also called hap thickskin or redfin. Good looking fish and personally i dont find them aggressive at all compared to mbuna. Im getting ready to start breeding them.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
That might be one place to begin to narrow down the search. Do you think you will lean toward peace and quiet that takes less watching, perhaps at first or does the idea of breeding and watching that interaction excite you more? Breeding is not hard--- The fish actually do the work. You just have to decide if you want to save the fry or not and deal accordingly. An all male tank has the advantages of being made of the more colorful males without the need to sort out fry. I find mouthbrooders are easy to breed but run me out of tanks frequently. Lots of choices but once one makes some decisions of what he wants, it becomes easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts