Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im getting a 125 gallon (6 ft long) tank nest weekend and *** never kept frontosa before. what im hoping to do is have 1 frontosa with 20 or so peacock cichlids. will it be ok to just have 1 frontosa?

·
Registered
203 Posts
fronts do better in groups. i would only do a species tank because fronts are slow moving and pretty peaceful fish. i would put in about 20 or so fronts and as they get older weed out the males and keep the females. i would do a mix of about 2 males for 8 females.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
A six foot tank is your minimum foot-print for Frontosa/Gibberosa if you plan on having more than one or two. If you decide to keep a colony of them, I think ten mature frontosa in a 125 may be pushing the limits of your foot-print (IMO)... six or eight would be as many as I would try. I am having some agression issues in a 125 with eight and will be moving them to a bigger tank soon.

If you just want to keep one front with some peacocks, I'll have to defer to others on how well your front will do with peacocks. One front with the right community will work. If you decide you want more fronts then a harem/group situation is ideal as brian suggested. In my adult frontosa tank I only have frontosa. I am growing out some juvenile fronts in a community setting (yellow labs & calvus) and I am watching closely to see how they are doing and keeping an eye on the fin nipping (so far so good).

Good luck,
Russ

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm looking to buy some new fronts from Neptune Aquatics. I but 9 Moba on hold then started to think I can 16 1-1.5 and 7 2.5-3.5 Mpimbwe. I know that Mobas are the gem of the frontosa world but with the mpimbwe I would be getting over three times more fronts I'm trying to make a 300 gal look like it has some fish in it. I also here that the Mobas are harder to breed and like to hide. Just trying to get some different options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.