Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic comes up a lot but I didn't see one quite like what I'm asking so I hope it's ok...

I've had a few different tanks over the years and am looking to finally make a "show piece" tank for my living room. It's a 55 gallon tank that is pretty deep front-to-back and not so long as most 50s. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions for the total fish load out. I'd rather overstock a bit and I will be over filtering a ton so that won't be a problem. I also prefer "natural" looking/behaving tanks so their habitat will be reasonably accurate. I do want a relatively non-violent tank if I can get away with it - no deaths from fighting if possible.

With all that said, what Malawi fish species and how many would you experts recomend? I'll probably be getting them all from an online retailer so no need to worry if they will be available locally or not. Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
If it's not as long as most 55G tanks, does that mean it is 36"? That limits your selection. If that were true, and also taking the "peaceful" criteria, I'd do 6 yellow labs and 6 Cynotilapia sp. hara "Gallireya Reef" (trade names White Tops or Blue Reef).

If you give the exact dimensions, they might expand your options even more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! The tank is about 30" wide by 18" deep by 21" tall, +/- an inch or two here and there. I think it's actually a 50 and not a 55 in the end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.